Pre-Finasteride Lab Testing Question

I'm planning to start Finasteride / Propecia for the first time, and am concerned with some of the side effects we've all heard about. So I'm going to test my baseline levels of a few things before I start to compare afterward. I'm testing for:

Total testosterone

SBHG

Free-testostrone

Estrogen (E2)

DHT

PSA (Prostate Specific Antigen)

Does anyone know if I need to fast before these tests? Or prepare in any particular way? My doctor seems to be indulging my by sending the prescription and hasn't given any particular directives.

Thanks a lot!

You will want to double check with your doctor first however I don't believe you would have to fast first before the tests.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

I don't think you need to fast either. My gp ordered a psa test before she would prescribe finasteride. I've been through a bunch of blood tests over the years. The only time I was required to fast was when a blood sugar test was involved. Even then the fasting is pretty easy if you go first thing in the morning.

Fasting for blood sugar tests only require 8 hours minimum and some docs require 12 hours.

The PSA test is critical to establish a baseline before finasteride is started from what I understand.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY