My experience with Saw Palmetto - Low DHT, High Prolactin and Testosterone Levels

Ramez

Hey everyone,

I'm 26 and I've had a hair transplant around 3 months ago and been using Xpecia (turkish multivitamins containing saw palmetto) almost since then. I did some blood tests around 1 month post-op and I've recently received the results to check them ( I was not available these past 2 months).

Everything was normal except for 3: 1) DHT 2)Prolactin 3)Testosterone.

1) DHT (LMM) - The normal range that is listed on the tests is 0.33 -1.2 ng/ml. My result: 0.32 which is a bit lower.

2) Prolactin (immulite) - Normal Range: 2.5 -17 ng/ml. My result is 33.8 ng/ml which is significantly higher.

3) Testosterone (elecsys) - Normal Range: 2.8-8 ng/ml. My result is higher : 10.3 ng/ml.

Note: I checked online and the normal ranges somehow differ from what is written on my tests.

I am no expert and I will surely further consult with the doctor who initially said that it is not a big issue. However, I would like to know if anyone, whether physician/expert/patient had a similar experience or has the knowledge to probably explain what the numbers mean.

Does that mean it is better if I stop taking Xpecia? So far I have not noticed significant side effects except for maybe some minor loss in libido which I cannot blame only Xpecia or saw palmetto for at the moment.

Feedback would be highly appreciated, thanks.

Hello,

I doubt the saw palmetto would have much of a dht lowering effect in one month's time. Do you have any test results pre ht? This would give you a better idea. However the high testosterone and low dht results are similar to what one might expect with propecia so you never know.

On a side note, you may wan to consult with a physician regarding your high prolactin level. It could be the result of a pituitary tumor (please do not be alarmed). A prolactinoma can be quite an easy fix with a certain medication. An MRI of your pituitary area might be advisable.

I have a pituitary tumor though not a prolactinoma so please do not take this as medical advice. Good luck.