23 YEARS old thinking about HT down the line

I'm currently 23 years old. I want a HT but not anytime soon. I'm currently a Norwood 2.

I've been on finastiride for 7-8 months and have seen my hair stop receding. I'm going to wait 3-5 years to see if finastiride stops hair loss or slows it down. Might move to dutriside if finastiride doesn't do the job.

I was thinking about staying on finastiride/dut for 3-5 years before considering a hair transplant. If Fin/dut halts my hair loss than I would get a hair transplant but if it doesn't the I'd wait a few more years in to my 30's to see where my hair loss would stop or not.

Hair loss is a big thing on my mothers side and non existent on my father's side. My father is 64 years old and is a legit NORWOOD 1.5. (fml).

I think I got my mother's side genes and I am currently a Norwood 2.

My goal hair transplant would be to NOT lower the hairline but even/thick it out. I've been looking at hair lines similar to mine and I was thinking I'd only need around 1000 grafts.

Is this a good plan? Live my life stop worrying about my hairline and see where it is 3-4 years and then consider getting a hair transplant if I have no sides from fin/dut and hair loss stops? What age should I really be looking for to get a HT.

Any advice from individuals who got a HT in their 20's/30's?

Any advice from doctors?

I think you are very smart in waiting to get a procedure done. Rushing into it is the biggest mistake people often make. I got a procedure done exactly four months ago today. I am really happy I got it done and it is turning out great . I got a somewhat conservative hairline but my face is framed now. If I would have gotten a procedure done three or four years ago I would be in trouble now because I would have had my hairline put too low and would not have enough grafts in the bank for the future. The answer to your question is yes stay on the meds don't obsess about your hair and live your life. One thing you probably don't see at 23 is that if the meds work for you many of your peers will lose an alarming amount of hair in the next five years. You will have more hair than them and you may begin to see that hair loss is just a part of life. It's hard to explain what I mean. It's hard to lose hair at any age but I think it's harder when you are young because most of your peers still have all of their hair. When you get a few years older and you see hair loss is more common and happening to your peers you look at it in a different way.

I had two in my teens and fully regretted it. Had another one at 39 and it was a GREAT experience, literally I enjoyed the whole process with Dr Rahal.

Will have another one probably in the next year and that should complete my hair loss story( hopefully )

I'm 43 now.

You are on the right path. Stay on the meds!

Newhairplease!!

Dr Rahal in January 19, 2012:)

4808 FUT grafts- 941 singles, 2809 doubles, 1031 triples, 27 quads

My Hairloss Website