Search for the Surgeon

Hi,

I am 26 years old, went through a hair straightening procedure 6-7 years ago, have been losing hair at moderate pace since then. Baldness runs in my family as well. At norwood 2 stage with less density in frontal area, i went through a 1000 graft hair transplant at Bangalore, India by Dr. Venkat charmalaya. It was a futile effort, i ended up with lesser hair on front, maybe due to shock loss and no additional regrowth, have also been on finasteride by dr. reddy;s for 6 months, no visible improvement. I seek help in choosing a doctor in India/Thailand.(Preferably India), A doctor who could assure results this time, as another futile transplant would deplete my donor supply and time. I would be grateful for your inputs, as this forum is my only ray of hope now.

Personally visited Dr. Tejinder Bhatti in Chandigarh and Dr. Kapil Dua in Ludhiana, while Dr.Kapil Dua gave me a lot of comfort and confidence, Dr. Bhatti's reviews seem better, also he has many visible success cases on this forum, i also liked his clinic's exclusivity to hair restoration.

Have also went through posts of HT failures by both doctors on this forum, specially the one where Dr.bhatti did not do most of the surgery by himself, and the forum's have a lot of failed cases against doctor dua,

While both of them are only "recommended" surgeon's here, Dr. Damkerng Pathomvanich in Thailand is "coalition surgeon", would going to him create a huge difference, or either of these two mentioned doctors equally good ?

I am aware that while harvesting and design is done by the surgeon himself, while planting is done by the helpers, is this true always ?

Also, i need guidance in how to go about the surgery with high success chances this time, without feeling cheated like in the first case, please help me choose a surgeon.

Regards,

Hairhoho

5b32eec93aca6_IMG_20160913_1554177481.thumb.jpg.789ae3913e158fcb4f0650d143b63824.jpg

Hhh,

All surgeons have a few cases where the results were not favorable. You have to go by their overall proven track record and there is always the patient's physiology factor that is outside the surgeon's control.

Now the risk I see in your case are two-fold. First, I opened you photo into a much larger frame. That reduces clarity but at the same time I can clearly see that you have a diffused pattern of loss in your frontal core. The risk is shock loss of that native diffused hair. Some may grow back and some may not.

Second, you still have a large mass of native hair. Obviously this is a good thing but I would encourage you to stick with smaller sessions of FUE otherwise you could be at a higher rate of shock loss as I previously stated.

It is also quite traditional for there to be a concerted team effort where trained surgery techs are placing the grafts. They key is that they are highly trained and skilled at this.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

Thanks Gilli, very helpful.

Few doubts.

I have been suggested 1000 hair grafts, would the doctor pack some of them amidst thinned hair ?

My expectation is higher density around hairline, is that achievable ?

Would Fin and minox help recover hair lost from shock loss ?

What determines that hair from shock loss return or not ?

Thanks in advance :)

You're very welcome my friend.

IMHO, most docs would not densely pack the area that has a considerable amount of diffused hair because of the apparent risk of shockloss.

Of course as the area thins out more, then more grafts can be added in subsequent procedures.

Some docs feel being on finasteride can substantially reduce shockloss but I personally have mixed feelings over that opinion.

Why? Because shockloss is almost always directly attributable to how the individual's scalp responds to the trauma induced by the recipient incisions made. The more incisions made, and the closer they are created in proximity to one another, the higher the level of trauma. This is why many docs will approach grafting an area with diffused hair more conservatively, to reduce the level of trauma. Some individuals respond more acutely to the trauma than others and there is no way to predict that. Fluids injected into the area can also potentially cause shockloss.

That's the dilemma about shockloss. It cannot be predicted. The strongest hairs usually come back from shockloss and the weaker ones usually do not.

Gillenator

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

• 2 weeks later...

Look forward to it and best wishes to you with your upcoming procedure....;)

Gillenator

Congrats buddy!...:cool:

Gillenator