Beard transplant question

I'm going to have a beard transplant. I've been advised I'll need 500+ grafts to fill in some areas.

My question is, is hair on the back of the head the most suitable donor hair for a beard transplant? I mean, my beard hair is thick and prickly, the hair on my head is not. I know some places have use body hair as donor hair. Anyone heard of places using hair from the pubic region? Might sound gross but it seems to me that out of all the hair on the body, this area of hair matches the beard hair the most.

thanks

Wavemaster,

I know you are concerned that the scalp hair is not an exact match to the beard that you are planning on replacing. There are a few reasons why this is still the best option for you though. First of all, the hair that will be used most likely, will be that from the back like you mentioned, that is the coarsest. When the hair is transplanted in the beard area, many zones will be filled in with 2 - haired grafts. (The outer transition zones will of course be single haired grafts) This way, the hair will appear the thickest. Most beard hair naturally is only coarse single hairs. By doing this we can help mimic the density of your natural beard.

The use of other body hair for the beard is not appropriate for a couple of reasons. First of all, you need quite a bit of donor (500+) That would be quite challenging for the pubic region. Also, when you are working in other areas of the body the yield (how many grafts take) is also lower. You might get a very patchy result. Finally, the pubic hair as well as other areas of the body have hair that grows for a much shorter time than the beard. This could also leave patches of bald spots when the transplanted hair decides to fall out before regrowing again.

wavemaster,

Dr. Josephitis gave you some excellent advice and based on his response, I am assuming that he is the one performing the procedure on you? If so, you've certainly selected an outstanding surgeon. I am also very impressed with the fact that he performs all the extractions himself for FUE procedures. So I feel confident that you are in some of the best hands and I certainly trust his judgement.

All the Best,

Bill

Hello, thank you for the responses!

Bill I have no chosen a doctor yet and Dr Josephitis seems to be in the USA, I'm in the UK so it would be too expensive for me to go there(especially with the ?-->$ rate). The choice of choosing a surgeon is very difficult, you find a doctor you think is good and the more searching you do, the more bad reports crop up so you discount him.

I am looking at places in the UK and europe. I've considered Turkey...

Dr Karadeniz is no longer recommended here, but is elsewhere. Dr Doganay used to be well recommended but now has many bad reports. Dr. Koray and Dr.Demirsoy both will not perform beard transplant.

Edited by wavemaster