2nd Procedure - same or new scar

don174

Taking a second strip, outside of the previous strip, is considered to be unnecessary and even counter productive. There are cases of repair where this is necessary but with the increased emphasis on procedures being undetectable taking multiple strips from various locations contradicts this philosophy and makes undetectability more difficult.

Online representative for Dr. Bernard Arocha

Learn more about Hair Transplants in Texas!

Don,

Taking the second strip from the same location is the norm. This resorts in one one scar, and really shouldn't decrease the yield by too much.

Dr. Blake Bloxham is recommended by the Hair Transplant Network.

Hair restoration physician - Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation

Previously "Future_HT_Doc" or "Blake_Bloxham" - forum co-moderator and editorial assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, Hair Restoration Network, Hair Loss Q&A blog, and Hair Loss Learning Center.

Click here to read my previous answers to hair loss and hair restoration questions, editorials, commentaries, and educational articles.

Now practicing hair transplant surgery with Coalition hair restoration physician Dr Alan Feller at our New York practice: Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation.

Please note: my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Don,

That seems like a pretty big difference in estimate to me. Maybe the doctor wants to take a thinner strip to really excise the entire scar and shoot for less tension on the closure this time around (I assume it's the same doctor)?

Previously "Future_HT_Doc" or "Blake_Bloxham" - forum co-moderator and editorial assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, Hair Restoration Network, Hair Loss Q&A blog, and Hair Loss Learning Center.

Click here to read my previous answers to hair loss and hair restoration questions, editorials, commentaries, and educational articles.

Now practicing hair transplant surgery with Coalition hair restoration physician Dr Alan Feller at our New York practice: Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation.

Please note: my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Don,

That seems like a pretty big difference in estimate to me. Maybe the doctor wants to take a thinner strip to really excise the entire scar and shoot for less tension on the closure this time around (I assume it's the same doctor)?

Hey Blake, this is actually an opinion from a new dr I was looking into .Iam having a consult with dr Hasson in Vancouver end of August , curious to see what he says about that . Not really keen on 2 scars , but certainly want to maximize my grafts. I've posted my 9 month pics , plz let me know what you think.

Thanks

Most patients and doctors tend to opt for just one scar.

The size of the second strip and how many grafts you attain are based on number of factors. The main factors are your donor density, the size of your previous scar and the laxity you have in the donor area. You want good laxity so that there isn't any tension during donor closure. What 1 ht doctor tells you may not be the same as the next ht doctor so it's good to get 3 or 4 opinions. Hard to say if that 1 ht doctor is correct as he's giving you his opinion based on his experience. The figures sound reasonable.

Hi Don,

I'd be curious to see what Dr Hasson says. My guess is that he will recommend using the same incision line and only leaving you with one linear scar. Again, this would have been my recommendation as well. Dr Hasson and Dr Wong are both well known for their ability to harvest very large numbers through the FUT technique, so I have a hunch he'll be able to get you close to the 3,000 level without having to create a second scar. But, again, I don't want to speak for him and I'm truly just hypothesizing at this point.

I looked at your 9 month pictures too. Definite improvement. Dr Seager, before his untimely passing, was good friends with my partner (Dr Feller), so I remembered your case because you went to the Seager clinic.