24 year old and need advices/opinions

Azazlegs,

Hey man, I remember VERY clearly when I was your age. I am a very emotional person too, and the hairloss issue really took it's toll on my life at that time. I almost made a SERIOUS MISTAKE at that time as well with NuHart Hair Clinic. I was so desperate and emotional about my receeding hairline that I had sent them a deposit for a HT surgery. They had me sucked in by that stupid cheesy video too !!

The bottom line is that if I had been stupid enough to do that back in 1993 then I would, without a doubt, be a disfigured doll-hair victim today !! I've seen some of these doll-hair repair patients on the forums, and man let me tell you that I seriously don't believe I could have made it through that. I hate to say it, but I have a feeling I would have been very suicidal if I would have ended up like that. Any decision in life based upon out-of-control emotions is generally a bad one. Luckily for me something in my gut told me to back out of that NU Hart deal.

I think the best thing you can do right now is get on proscar and see if it stabilizes your hairloss in the next 2-3 years. There's no point in getting a HT today if your loss is going to continue to be very aggressive and unstable. And the top docs with ethics would tell you that point blank.

On a personal note, try and find something that you are REALLY GOOD at and that you enjoy doing -- and just start pursuing that incessantly. This will do 2 things : 1) take your mind away from hairloss and your appearence 2) give you a sense of direction in life that has nothing to do with your looks

Having confidence in something that has nothing to do with your appearence can be a tremendous turn-on for women! Trust me, this is something you learn with age. A man that has drive, ambition, and who is really good at something will almost always beat out good looks for attracting the right women (NOT teenagers !!!). I see guys with perfect NW1 heads of hair everyday that have no ambition, no women, and are basically bums begging for change. These are guys post-30 and they never grew up; ironically for them NOT losing their hair was probably what led them to this fate, because all they did in their 20s was to party in clubs and now they can't compete with the new 20 year old lads. All these dudes do is hang around coffee shops hoping to pick up on some young college girl who doesn't mind a broke, aimless older dude that can still look somewhat hip.

Once you have some confidence in yourself from discovering your passion in life (and a potential career from it), then you will be a much better candidate for HT surgery IMHO.

Hi Azazlegs, I'm sorry to hear about your hair loss, I'm sure it is emotionally difficult to deal with (as I am dealing with similar issues myself in my late 20s).

I must chime in with the earlier post of hdude46 in saying that your perspective on hts is entirely wrong at this stage. Firstly, because of your emotional state at this time. I realise that hair loss is an emotional issue for everyone, and nobody likes to see such rapid ageing in the mirror. However, you cannot pin all hopes of improving your emotional state to the outcomes of a successful surgery. If you opt for the risky ht strategy that you present, involving non-permanent hair and before your loss is stabilised with meds, then you will be plagued with constant doubts about the 'security' of your ht which can be as stressful as losing hair in the first place. Also you need to think about the impact that a 'failed' surgery will have. What if the grafts don't grow? Even the top surgeons have examples where graft yields are much lower than patients expect. My point is simply that these things could be emotionally crushing for you, and so I suggest from the tone of your posts, that some kind of counselling or therapy may be helpful in getting you to a place where you have greater confidence, self esteem and body image than you currently do.

Secondly, in practical terms a 10 year strategy should not, as hdude suggests, be the goal. I do not know of any reputable ht surgeons on this site that would recommend such a course of action.

I hope that these problems can be resolved for you, but simply remember that putting a ht off and doing more research and reflection is never the wrong thing to do.