Hairline fix

The biggest factor is the likelihood of future loss, when it comes to doing small procedures to fix recession.

If you're relatively young, with a history of advanced balding in your family, and you're showing miniaturization throughout the mid-scalp and/or crown, doing small fixes on the hairline is going to be a bad idea. There is a strong chance you will need future procedures to address continued hairloss and you'll need to use what might end up being a limited donor supply wisely - meaning being more conservative in the design of your hairline in order to have enough donor to address future problems. Even if you're on medication and stable, you'll still need to be cautious.

If, however, you're a little older, and/or you have zero history of advanced hairloss in your family, and there's no obvious sign of miniaturization or further thinning and things seem stable, there is a possibility to be more aggressive and perhaps fix frontal recession and pack hair a little more densely where it has thinned.

Most doctors will err on the side of caution, however, particularly if you're still in your twenties or early thirties. Pretty much the worst situation you could be in would be to have a nice, thick, straight hairline and then see your mid-scalp and crown continue to lose hair and expand, with hardly any donor left to deal with it. That would be a nightmare situation and, if a doctor agreed to it, medically negligent too. Best to be a little more conservative and reach those goals than ambitious and completely miss them.

Very sound advice!...;)

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY