Hair Transplants and Speeding Hair Loss

Big_foot

I have heard that hair transplants speed up MPB. So if someone loses hair in the front and is a Norwood scale 2 and gets a transplant done, does that mean that that individual lets say was going to progress to a norwood 3a in 10 years will progress the same in 3 years or something because of Hair transplant?

Basically my question is that it means that another hair transplant will be required very soon since hair loss will continue to progress behind transplanted hairs in a shorter time frame?

I have heard that hair transplants speed up MPB. So if someone loses hair in the front and is a Norwood scale 2 and gets a transplant done, does that mean that that individual lets say was going to progress to a norwood 3a in 10 years will progress the same in 3 years or something because of Hair transplant?

Basically my question is that it means that another hair transplant will be required very soon since hair loss will continue to progress behind transplanted hairs in a shorter time frame?

Big_Foot,

Hair transplant surgery doesn't speed up the progression of male pattern baldness as a whole.

The phenomenon you are probably referring to is "shock loss". Shock loss (postoperative telogen effluvium) refers to a temporary hair loss due to trauma to the scalp during surgery. The only time shock loss may be permanent is if follicles are transected (a rare occurence in the hands of a skilled hair transplant surgeon) or the "shocked" hairs were significantly miniaturized and couldn't withstand the trauma.

Male pattern baldness as a condition however, will progress solely based on your genetic makeup. The only way genetic hair loss can be controlled is through medical treatments like Propecia (finasteride) and Rogaine (minoxidil).

Understand however that as hair loss progresses naturally, subsequent hair replacement procedures may be required to meet your hair restoration goals. That's why it's crucial to develop realistic expectations and map out a short and long term plan with a qualified hair transplant doctor.

Best wishes,

Bill