HT for ppl with small patches, but generally full head of hair

I've previously posted, with regards to getting a HT, and in looking through the forums over the last few months, it seems the best candidates are those that have had quite abit of hair loss.

In my own case I've got thinning in the crown, probably the diameter of a potato crisp, and some loss in the temples but generally have a full head of hair. I was reluctant to try rogaine as when you stop the hair falls out.. and propecia because of the side effects.. So considered a HT.. I'm 45 at the moment.

So my question is, given the fact that implanting in areas where there is diffuse loss, causes shockloss, and you get shockloss in donor areas, for ppl who mostly have a full head of hair.. Is getting a few patches treated, something that causes more damage than benefit?

Any input would be much appreciated.

GreyG,

People can have HT for a variety of reasons. Some as you mention, get the HT after they have had much loss. In these patients, the results can be quite dramatic. Others, get HT when they have some thinning that is mainlynot yet noticeable to the casual observer. They patients don't want to go through that "thin" phase. Others like yourseld with just small areas of loss wish to improve on those area. While the overall change may not be as impressive as my first example, the difference is definitely welcomed by the patient.

One concern by doing a small session as you are discussing is that if you have any more hairloss, you will need to continue with additional HT in order to avoid an unnatural looking phase.

Yes, there is some concern of shock loss after surgery. This is usually in the recipient area and, in my experience, usually occurs in patients with the diffuse thinning.