Donor Density Question

Hair density - in many Dr's and patients documentation, their donor area density is quoted. Is it possible to learn your donor density pre HT, before any strip is extracted? I would very much like to know my donor density now, despite my procedure not being for many months.

Patient Advisor for Dr. Bisanga - BHR Clinic 

ian@bhrclinic.com   -    BHR YouTube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcH4PY1OxoYFwSDKzAkZRww

I am not a medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own.

Bill,

tell me more about this tool. Is this something that I could attain. If so, I am presuming it may be possible to undertake this test, by measuring it myself? At this time, I am very keen to gather an rough idea of my donor density.

Patient Advisor for Dr. Bisanga - BHR Clinic 

ian@bhrclinic.com   -    BHR YouTube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcH4PY1OxoYFwSDKzAkZRww

I am not a medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own.

Raphael,

When you talk about "donor density" being good, it can refer to one of two things, and usually a combination of both. They are: 1) Number of FU's per square centimeter. and 2) Number of hairs per average FU.

As Bill stated, you need someone with a little experience and a special magnification viewing instrument to do it. It's almost impossible to do without clipping the hair in the area close to the skin. We usually use a 0.5 x 0.5cm area to count in and then just multiply by 4, since it is very difficult to count a whole square cm and keep track of which ones you have counted and which ones you haven't as the process goes along. Before surgery and taking a donor strip, since we already have the donor area shaved down anyways, we usually count 3-5 of these 0.5cm square areas to be sure we didn't just test one sample area higher than the others. At a consultation, if someone wanted a numerical density measurement, most of us would only clip the hair in a small area for one count. I don't initiate this at my consultations, as I consider it a little "invasive" and aggressive from the patient's standpoint. Most hair surgeons who have a lot of experience can simply lift the hair and look at it, or even better, use the densitometer instrument and look at the long hairs, which gives us a great idea of both FU density and number of hairs per FU. It's just that a formal count is pretty much impossible without cutting the hair. Even if you had the instrument at home obviously you couldn't measure your own donor density, and I doubt even a friend would be able to do it on a first try.

Mike Beehner, M.D.