Any Advice on hairline

Hi Everyone,

Just recently i've been worrying over my hairline. I've always had a high forehead but i think it's getting higher! Any opinion would really help. The second, third and last picture are of me aout 6 years ago and the rest are current.

thanks

IMG_7266.JPG.6876b19a01122b3dbcd79a1947add573.JPG

IMG_7268.JPG.87a8cf8180421d89b81426e7aebb51fb.JPG

IMG_7350.JPG.7e0e4a8a1958ddf31af92cca13b64f85.JPG

IMG_7351.thumb.JPG.e2130b8ea3ef71d46d1c33a8f7d2b406.JPG

IMG_7352.thumb.JPG.eaed32c246ab20e9ce81f61d88811b26.JPG

Untitled.png.8ea98276ce2c2e8b29eb4e5cc15a8ae3.png

Your hair looks different on these photos, but it could be due to the changes in your hairstyle. I think you need to monitor your hair and to take photos every 2-3 months for better comparison.

Hair,

Welcome. You're a perfect example of a very important topic: natural, non-balding "hairline maturation" versus the start of male pattern hair loss in a young patient.

If you think back to your teenage years or look through some old photos, you'll notice that at one point in time your hairline was very low and flat. All males start with low, flat hairlines and 95% of them naturally mature when you enter your early 20s. This maturation entails a rounding of the flat shape, an overall increase in hairline height, and a slight bit of natural recession in the temples. There are a few famous examples of people who never experienced this maturation (Ronald Reagan is a great one), but it happens to almost all maturing males. And it is NOT necessarily a sign of hair loss. Many, many people "mature" like this and then it stays like this. It's a natural aging process akin to a "growth spurt" in your late teens and early 20s. However, many people notice this maturation and think they are losing their hair.

Now, that's possibility 1. Possibility 2 is normal maturation WITH the onset of male pattern hair loss. Just because everyone's hairline -- for the most part -- matures, doesn't mean you also aren't seeing the onset of male pattern hair loss with it. This happens too because it tends to start around this same time.

This is why your best move now is to: 1) really watch it and see if it seems to settle in a more matured place or if it seems like the thinning is continuing; and 2) see a hair loss doctor and undergo a scalp evaluation. If it is early male pattern hair loss, you've caught it at a good point and can probably do a lot to hold on with preventive medications (if they make sense for you).

I hope this helps!

Feel free to ask any additional questions.

Dr. Blake Bloxham is recommended by the Hair Transplant Network.

Hair restoration physician - Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation

Previously "Future_HT_Doc" or "Blake_Bloxham" - forum co-moderator and editorial assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, Hair Restoration Network, Hair Loss Q&A blog, and Hair Loss Learning Center.

Click here to read my previous answers to hair loss and hair restoration questions, editorials, commentaries, and educational articles.

Now practicing hair transplant surgery with Coalition hair restoration physician Dr Alan Feller at our New York practice: Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation.

Please note: my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Mr. Hairobsses,

I must respectfully disagree with my colleague Dr. Bloxham with regards to his statement that all males start with low flat hairlines. Many do, but many do not as you yourself just said you have always had a high hairline. This is not very important for your analysis but I felt it was necessary to correct to prevent this from being viewed as fact.

Dr. Bloxham is correct with the observation that many men do have recession of the temples and hairlines do rise to a higher level than that which is found during juvenile years. With this in mind there is no way we can make any sort of proper determination regarding your case unless we have better photos. They are far too dark and grainy. We also need to know the following information:

1. Age.

2. Family history of hair loss.

3. Which side of your family has lost more hair?

4. Which side of the family do you resemble most?

5. Are you taking or considering taking hair loss medication?

6. Are you taking any medication, such as SSRI anti-depressants that may cause hair loss?

7. Are you taking Accutane?

You can answer here but of course if you feel more comfortable with your details being private you can consult with the many quality doctors found on this website but you will have to take better photos than you have provided here. If I can be of any assistance do not hesitate to let me know.