1 Year on 1.25mg Proscar - No Benefits

Beeblets

Hi guys,

I started shedding a lot around 2 years ago and after some reading around decided to take 1.25mg Proscar (Dr Edgar).

Fast forward a year, my shedding has not stopped. The meds has had no effect. Shedding is still the same as before, if not more. I was wondering if it was worth taking it if i'm not benefitting. After a year of use, surely by now there would be some decrease in shedding, if of course my body would allow it.

At this point in time, i'm not concerned with regrowth but just want the shedding to stop. I'm not feeling any side effects but I don't want to be taking it unnecessarily.

Do you think I should maybe switch to Fin?

Any advice would be welcome.

Have you noticeably thinned out?

When I was 22ish, I started taking propecia. I felt I wasn't getting any results so I discontinued treatment. Between 22-26 my hairline, moved quite a bit. At 27 I had a transplant and resumed treatment with finasteride. I'm a few months from 33 and I can say that it has helped for sure. Hair is still doing great 6 years later and I cannot see any new loss

I feel my hairline has slightly shifted back, in tune with how quick it was shifting before i started the proscar.

I'm thinking of transplant but don't want to have one before 30 (got 5 years left), so really wanted these pills to work.

So you advise me to continue taking them? I'm thinking of taking all my Proscar and then changing to branded Fin if shedding doesn't stop.

Beeblets,

Most recommend taking finasteride-based medications -- such as Proscar and Propecia -- for one year before determining if they are working to help stabilize your hair loss. This, of course, is in the absence of any side effects. It sounds like you took it for a year and did not see the type of stabilization you hoped for.

Switching to brand name Propecia is something you could try. Although the active ingredient in Proscar is the same as Propecia (finasteride) some do report better results with the brand name. Can I explain it (assuming they contain the same dose of finasteride)? No. But I've heard these reports from multiple patients.

Having said that, no one besides the doctor who prescribed the medication can give you any advice about continuing, stopping, or changing medications. And I highly recommend you go see the doctor who prescribed the medication and ask for his opinion (based on his experience as your doctor) about switching to brand name Propecia.

You may also want to consult with a hair restoration physician if you are considering a transplant in the future. You may be a candidate now, or he/she may have some helpful advice based upon your exam during the consult.

Best of luck!

Dr. Blake Bloxham is recommended by the Hair Transplant Network.

Hair restoration physician - Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation

Previously "Future_HT_Doc" or "Blake_Bloxham" - forum co-moderator and editorial assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, Hair Restoration Network, Hair Loss Q&A blog, and Hair Loss Learning Center.

Click here to read my previous answers to hair loss and hair restoration questions, editorials, commentaries, and educational articles.

Now practicing hair transplant surgery with Coalition hair restoration physician Dr Alan Feller at our New York practice: Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation.

Please note: my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.