Playing football

Jimmybond

Hi,

One of my big concerns about getting a HT is how long would I have to stop playing football.

I play 5 a side football once a week which doesn't involve much heading but my biggest passion is 11 a side league football which is a big part of my life.

I know I would have to stop for a few months at least but just how many?

I have thought about it and no matter how hard I tried not to there would be times when I would have to head the ball and I can imagine what damage heading a ball at full power would do to any transplant.

Anyone who has ever headed a match ball will know just how hard they are.

I know this might sound trivial to some but for me it is a big factor in when I could get one.

I suppose my question is when is the cut off point when the hair is totally locked in?

Jimmy,

Good question. Like Spex pointed out, patients are often very curious about returning to sports and exercising after a hair transplant. Most of the questions about returning to weight lifting, jogging, etc are pretty straightforward. Yours is a bit more complicated. But I've been asked before. I think you'll receive a variety of opinions on this, but I'll give you mine as well.

Spex is right about the grafts being securely anchored within the first 3-10 days. With modern follicular units, I think they are fully secured by around day 3. Other studies -- done on slightly larger grafts -- show 100% anchoring by day 10. So in this sense, you could wait a full 10 days to be very sure. However, there is one other issue to consider: inflammation and the resulting fibrotic scarring from heading the ball.

We have a little joke around the office with football (or soccer to us yanks!) players: we can almost always tell who plays soccer without even asking. The reason why is because heading the ball repeatedly -- like any other minor trauma -- causes scarring under the skin. When working in the scalp, you can feel this scarring that would otherwise go unnoticed.

Now, this minor scar buildup isn't really an issue for normal healthy follicles. However, I don't think inflammation and scaring around the newly implanted follicles is the most healthy environment for new blood vessel development (which is key for the grafts to grow and thrive) and proliferation of fragile, recently transplanted grafts.

Because of this, I agree with Spex's general assessment: you may want to wait "as long as you can." 3 months might be ideal because this is when the body creates new blood supply to the grafts and they wake up and start growing hairs. However, this may be overly conservative. And the most important thing you can do is ask your clinic, obtain their specific instructions, and follow them to a tee.

Hope this helps!

Dr. Blake Bloxham is recommended by the Hair Transplant Network.

Hair restoration physician - Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation

Previously "Future_HT_Doc" or "Blake_Bloxham" - forum co-moderator and editorial assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, Hair Restoration Network, Hair Loss Q&A blog, and Hair Loss Learning Center.

Click here to read my previous answers to hair loss and hair restoration questions, editorials, commentaries, and educational articles.

Now practicing hair transplant surgery with Coalition hair restoration physician Dr Alan Feller at our New York practice: Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation.

Please note: my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Thanks for the detailed answers, I really appreciate the time you took to do it.

I think I would err on the safe side and wait the three months as I don't think I could cope if I thought I hadn't done everything possible to encourage hair growth after a HT.

I think I might try and push my plans forward a bit to coincide with the end of this season, I am 44 and haven't got many seasons left in me so three months maximum which I can fit in in the off season is good news.

Thanks again.

I agree with the others. You would be just fine participating after the first week or so. I'm not sure I would want to be wearing a helmet though. Your donor area would be very tender. Just be careful but the grafts would be just fine after the first week.

I am an online representative for Carolina Hair Surgery & Dr. Mike Vories (Recommended on the Hair Transplant Network).

View John's before/after photos and videos:  http://www.MyFUEhairtransplant.com

You can email me at johncasper99@gmail.com

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.