FUT advice

Ron1985

Second op after FUT (op1) - FUE or FUT?  

10 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Hi,

Joined this forum today looking for advice.

I started going bald around 26 years of age. Nativity meant I didn't start to combat this with Propecia and I just "let it go" thinking nanogen and concealment was a solution. It no longer was...

I had ?9k 3k FUT operation last week and anxiety and uncertainty has started to kick in.

I went to top UK clinic who has celebrity stories..it was the surgeons appraisal that day so he was only around for strip and recipient punching. Hair insertion was done by assistants and quite nerve racking to hear them say over and over "it keeps popping out"..

I harvested only 2.4 hairs but didn't get discount. I also had to go back 2 days after operation as the sutures on right side of head came lose and started bleeding heavily. First time in 8 years his has happened according to surgeon..

I have been treating top of head well with saline and suffered no scabbing. All seems well on top and I am in need of second operation on 12 months time to do back of head. Surgeon recommended 2 visits.

What I want advice on... It's been a week and my head still hurts a lot. Especially the side that was stitched and then re sutured. It just feels very tight and I am worried it will lead to horrendous stretch of scar.

Anything I can do to prevent stretching?

Also for second operation would you recommend FUE rather than another FUT?

Regards

Thank you for the reply.

In terms of the scarring then how does the back of your head look? Do you have a few scars?

Mine was 3k grafts and goes from one ear to the other so worried another huge scar will be too noticeable?

As you can tell from poor grammar of previous post I am still a bit spaced out from pain relief tablets!!

Personally finding the head pain unbearable and my head just feels so tight!

Thank you for the reply.

In terms of the scarring then how does the back of your head look? Do you have a few scars?

Mine was 3k grafts and goes from one ear to the other so worried another huge scar will be too noticeable?

As you can tell from poor grammar of previous post I am still a bit spaced out from pain relief tablets!!

Personally finding the head pain unbearable and my head just feels so tight!

1 scar. The previous scar is removed with the strip on future FUT procedures. I personally did not have any scar stretching and honestly have trouble even finding the scar once it was fully healed, though I don't wear my hair short either which probably helps. Everyone is different though.

Sorry to hear about the sutures coming loose and causing you some discomfort. At this stage it is not known whether that will cause any issues once it fully heals.

It sounds quite normal for your scalp to feel tight and have some pain after only a week it takes around 6 months for the scar area to fully heal and is a gradual process of recovery. Some patients are more prone to scar stretching than others but how you handle the recovery once the sutures are out can make an effect.

Take it easy for the first month in terms of strenuous exercise and gym work. Talk to your Doctor and ask him when he feel you should be running, playing contact sports lifting weights again and follow his instructions to the letter.

Good luck and keep us posted.

---

Former patient and representative for Hasson & Wong.

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are esteemed members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Hasson & Wong.

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Hasson

Thanks for the response.

Looking forward to getting the sutures taken out tommorow.

I don't participate in any strenuous exercises so I should be ok on that front.

Feeling much more optimistic now and can't wait for the results. I know I have the scary shedding stage before I enter growth so see how my emotions can handle that!

Only sad part of all of this is I will end up paying ?30k+ for hair that I should have in first place :)

Generally, there isn't much you can do as a patient to prevent stretch-back. The surgeon can apply closure techniques and a certain type of material of suture to yield a finer scar, but stretch-back can occur over a period of a year or more after the procedure.

During your consultation, did you have any discussion with your surgeon about your scalp laxity? Did your surgeon inform you as to why the sutures loosened? You may lack in scalp laxity for a 2nd strip. Were you I would ask that you post photos of the left and right side of the donor.

Waiting for the scar to heal for 12 months will be worth the wait.

My opinions are my own. I am one representative of MyWHTC Clinic's European branch.

Consultation Dates & Cities for Dr. Patrick Mwamba

London, United Kingdom - Available (Sat.)

Zurich, Switzerland - Available (Saturday)

Bologna, Italy - Available (Saturday)

Brussles, Belgium - Available (Sun.-Sat.) *No Fee*

Dr. Patrick Mwamba is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians