How to lose a graft? Ithink I lost one

I doubt that you lost a graft because when that happens, a steady stream or trickle of blood oozes out and many times you can visibly see the small opening where the graft was situated.

It just sounds like you had a ingrown hair and this usually looks like a small white pimple. Unless you have multiple white head pimples that also have some swelling, redness, oozing, you should be just fine.

Congrats on your recent procedure...;)

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

Thanks Gillenator.

How much blood are we talking about? I think mine did look like a small stream of blood pouring out but it didnt have a hair on it earlier so not sure if I popped the graft fat instead and not puss

rabrr,

Usually the trickle or stream of blood will run down the scalp and can be a couple of mm wide.

It's very noticeable and mostly occurs within 3 days of the procedure. By day 7 post-op, it's not likely that grafts pop out.

Gillenator

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Rabrr,

As usual, Gillenator is spot on. You see a very characteristic "stream" of blood after a graft is lost. Sometimes you can even see the dislodged graft laying on the scalp if you look near the origin of the bleeding. It usually looks like a grain of rice. I usually try to keep it simple and tell worried patients: "no bleeding, no lost graft." What you describe doesn't sound like a dislodged graft. More likely a trimmed hair growing back and having some difficultly penetrating the surface of the scalp. If you were a few months out, I'd say it may be new growth as well (though it looks like you just had the surgery). You'd definitely notice if you pushed out a graft forcefully while trying to pop it as well (and again, it doesn't sound like this happened).

You may want to send a picture to your clinic just to be on the safe side and see if they recommend anything or would like to evaluate the little bump in further detail.

Grow well!

Dr. Blake Bloxham is recommended by the Hair Transplant Network.

Hair restoration physician - Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation

Previously "Future_HT_Doc" or "Blake_Bloxham" - forum co-moderator and editorial assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, Hair Restoration Network, Hair Loss Q&A blog, and Hair Loss Learning Center.

Click here to read my previous answers to hair loss and hair restoration questions, editorials, commentaries, and educational articles.

Now practicing hair transplant surgery with Coalition hair restoration physician Dr Alan Feller at our New York practice: Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation.

Please note: my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Very informative post by Dr. Blake. And I have heard of patients who have found their dislodged graft(s) on their pillow as well. But again, if any grafts are dislodged, it usually occurs within the first 72 hours following the procedure.

So I agree with Dr. Blake, chances are it is not a last graft...;)

Gillenator