SMP, the most important questions I have (experts needed)

Hi Yaz,

I think the most consistently good permanent SMP work that I have seen done is by former techs from HIS, Vinci, and NHI. I refer to Matt Iulo at Scalp Micro in NYC most often (he is formally from HIS as well). I think if you want a great honest opinion of someone I'm sure he knows --ask him.

MY advice, find out if he is still using the same pigment as he was at HIS or is he learning a new pigment? Same equipment or new? How long has he been on his own and does he have examples of his work he can show you. And, lets say in worse case scenario you dislike your SMP -- How is he going to take care of you? Does he refund? Will he redo? Does he have access to a laser? HIS pigment does laser out pretty well in a few sessions but that's not the case for all permanent SMP. I have a pt I am correcting from another large organization (not represented on here) that has taken 11 laser sessions to remove his pigment. I started in this industry doing permanent SMP -- I believe in the right hands it is safe. Those hands are honest and transparent and they tell you everything. No sales gimmicks. Also, look at his hairlines. Does he have the ability to do soft natural hairlines? I know most guys think when they get SMP done that they are going to stay with that look but the reality is many itch for hair down the road. Don't get yourself locked into a situation that will be hard to get out of. Don't lower your hairline beyond your existing hair or go too low. If you are older than 30 get an age appropriate hairline, etc. Think about future planning.

Best of luck, I hope this was helpful :)

Thanks for the great summary and for the set of questions to ask! I will be definitely be asking him these. From their website, they mention: "All the pigments used at Brandwood Clinic are organic, formulated from organic powder, distilled water, witch hazel & alcohol. They have been fully tested and comply with COE ResAP (2008) 1 standards. As our inks are non-acrylic and organic they allow the body to heal faster and hold the colour better". What do you think of this?