Much debate surrounds the efficacy of platelet-rich plasma (PRP) in the treatment of hair loss. This patient underwent a series of PRP treatments with Dr. Carlos Wesley. In addition to both PRP and ACell, two activation and stimulation measures during the procedures helped this patient achieve more fullness in the crown of his scalp without any surgical intervention.

Dr. Wesley believes that much of PRP's efficacy stems from proper patient selection. Scalp examination under a magnified lens can reveal evidence of not only candidate miniaturized hairs, but also dried keratinocytes surrounding hair follicles. These findings are two in a series that help suggest whether or not patients may respond favorably to targeted PRP therapy.

Slide2.jpg

Slide3.jpg

Slide4.jpg

• 1 month later...

I don't know. A video would would be more telling. I'm not decided on PRP yet. I do see positive comments on it on realself though. The following link has some good info on it (someone also lists some studies done on it: PRP right option for my hair loss? Thinning of hair in front. 26 years, male (Photo) Doctor Answers, Tips)

Three things I learned about it are that: 1) about 40% to 70% of people response positively to (comments from a number of doctors), 2) when you do respond well, it requires multiple applications (2-3 times a year), 3) the large number of techniques and machines available for it lead to variations in results from different clinics (one doctor said one clinic may use 120cc of blood with 3.5 times baseline concentration of platelets for their PRP procedure, while another clinic may use 8cc of blood concentration of 1.5 times above baseline)

I’m leery of any positive PRP results when it was combined with HT, since there is no proof it worked in addition to the HT.