Advice needed please on the extraction/incision/planting by different clinics

leindub

When chosing a clinic how important are the follwing stages as far as the surgeon having a hands on involvement? Are all three essential or perhaps just one or two of the stages?

A) Extraction of grafts

B) Incisions made in recipient area

C) Planting of grafts in recipient area.

I am very close to chosing a surgeon but on two different threads on the main page today detailing patients procedures, one the surgeon didn't plant the grafts in the recipient area, the other did. Both surgeons recommended on this site.

If I chose a surgeon who extracts the grafts and makes the incisions but does not plant them, is there anything here to be apprehensive about before proceeding with that clinic?

As long as the individuals implanting the grafts are competent with a proven track record demonstrating the skill, experience, and end results, there is nothing wrong with someone other than the doctor implanting the grafts.

You will find that in most clinics it's the experienced techs that implant the grafts, not the doctor. Yes there are exceptions but just because the doctor is implanting the grafts does not guarantee that he or she is better at doing it.

You really have to base your decision on the clinic's track record. How do their results look? Is there consistency with their matured results across the board?

One word of caution would be having an inexperienced tech doing most of the implanting. Yet new techs have to gain experience by starting somewhere, as long as they are being closely supervised by other experienced competent techs.

Conversely, it is my opinion that only the surgeon/doctor should be the one who performs the extractions and creates the recipient incisions. In most states that is the law but not followed by some clinics.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

Thanks for that reply gillenator.

I just assumed the doctor would have to be hands on in the planting of grafts phase. I will make sure to chose a clinic whereby the doctor is working with an experienced team.

As for the extraction and incision aspect, again thanks for that clarification too.

You're welcome my friend and listen, there are some docs who are very good at implanting the grafts and most docs will inspect the final placement of all the grafts before they release the patient from the OR.

Yet in many clinics, the techs do a far better job of placement over the doc...;)

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

You've received excellent advice! In my opinion, prospective patients should spend far less time worrying about the surgical protocol and more time reviewing legitimate results.

Be aware that there are disreputable clinics out there that falsify their results to it's important that you are looking at clinics with proven track records. Our community pre-screens and recommends top hair transplant surgeons around the world. You can count on the clinics we recommend to be experienced and ethical.

While some surgeons do perform all aspects of surgery, many do not. Typically the surgeon will design the graft placement and harvest the strip or FU's. The techs will do all or most of the planting.

Just do your research and be sure that the doctor you choose is delivering consistent quality results.

Best of luck!

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website