Rogain and alcohol

trb88

Since no one has replied yet: Yes, liquid Rogaine uses propylene glycol as a delivery agent. I would definitely check with your dermatologist or physician about it's use with psoriasis. While you're at it, you can look into the foam version which is usually far less irritating and lacks the propylene glycol. Ask their opinion on that as well.

I don't have psoriasis, but even for me the liquid does dry me up a bit. After applying I immediately wash my hands and forehead/face. It's messy, but is cheap and gets the job done.

• 1 month later...

:eek:The alcohol in Rogaine is a very serious topic of discussion that I have been addressing on this site since J & J began mislabelling their Men's Rogaine two years ago. The alcohol content has increased dramatically because they are putting 2% solution in 5% packaging, leaving more undiluted solvent, alcohol--this is a mislabelling fraud (that I am in the process of fighting with the FDA).

Rogaine Extra Strength or any Minoxidil 5% solution should smell only moderately of alcohol because it has ethanol in it--all other alcohols are poisonous if taken internally (isopropyl is rubbing alcohol, used for injuries to the skin); ethanol is the alcohol in beer and spirits.

So, whether or not it is okay for people with psoriasis would be a matter for your doctor and maybe a little trial and error. But, as one of my prescribing Doctors once remarked, it's clever that they were able to use alcohol as the solvent because if you ever get a cut or abrasion on your head--as most guys do, sooner or later--you can continue to apply it as it will aid in healing the wound (it's happened to me).

But, most importantly, you need to find a good generic in place of the Rogaine, rip-off 5%--that's only been 2% Minoxidil in strength for the past two years. Your post leads me to speculate that is, at least, part of the reason you're asking about it's alcohol content!

Do yourself a favour and read my posts describing this in more detail:11-13-2015, Real 5% American generic minoxidil Please; 11-12-2015, in answer to Rogaine foam vs Kirkland foam.

And, propylene glycol is not alcohol; it's a diol, a compound containing two hydoxyl groups (OH), used in the food and medicine industries. It's added to many of the Minoxidil lotions to give the hair better manageability and the appearance of thickness. . .I don't know how that would effect your psoriasis, either.

The last ingredient is purified water.

(And, it should also be known to everyone who uses Minoxidil that it should be started with once a day treatment, same time, everyday, within an hour--that's usually enough. If your results don't bring you back to full then you can try twice a day. The twice a day crap is just to get you to use twice as much!)

Mark

Edited by iiieee