Sebum (pics)

johnny2000

I have posted recently about my shedding has increased the last 12 Month or so.

I Also noticed alot more oily forehead and white grease on the scalp i Can scrape of after a shower when my scalp is damped.

So here are so pictures ive taken after my hair has been washed and it is dry.

If you zoom in you Can clearly see white stuff attatched to all hairs on the scalp.

Could This be excess sebum? Why the ***** is it there? Could that crap be attributing to my hairloss?

Could This Also be what is making my forehead grease and oily?

I am on fin and have tried nizoral but.

Fin helped the first 4 yrs p? the last 12 Month it has gotten worse ??

image.jpg.b75921f9197f1a4dc944a4f9690d4b72.jpg

Come on guys, plsss some help here.

Im booked with dr lorenzo in late october, and i would hate to be turned Down because i have scalp problems.

Ive waited so long for This HT and now my hairloss is getting worse

And i Think it has something to do with This sebum shit

Hey Johnny,

Congrats on booking with Lorenzo. I've always been a VERY big fan of his FUE protocol. You'll have to keep us updated on the results.

I don't see too much on the scalp there. Are you putting any topical liquids, foams, salves, or creams on the scalp? Any different shampoos? Any dermarolling?

Sebum overproduction can occur in androgenic alopecia (AGA). In many cases, the AGA process actually causes an increase in the size of the sebaceous gland next to the follicle and creates excess sebum production. Which, as I'm sure you can believe, causes an excess of sebum on the scalp. This can cause the "greasy" appearance you're describing. It really shouldn't change whether or not you're a candidate for surgery. It's a pretty normal part of AGA, and hair transplant surgery is a well accepted treatment for this type of hair loss.

Dr. Blake Bloxham is recommended by the Hair Transplant Network.

Hair restoration physician - Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation

Previously "Future_HT_Doc" or "Blake_Bloxham" - forum co-moderator and editorial assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, Hair Restoration Network, Hair Loss Q&A blog, and Hair Loss Learning Center.

Click here to read my previous answers to hair loss and hair restoration questions, editorials, commentaries, and educational articles.

Now practicing hair transplant surgery with Coalition hair restoration physician Dr Alan Feller at our New York practice: Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation.

Please note: my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Hey Johnny,

Congrats on booking with Lorenzo. I've always been a VERY big fan of his FUE protocol. You'll have to keep us updated on the results.

I don't see too much on the scalp there. Are you putting any topical liquids, foams, salves, or creams on the scalp? Any different shampoos? Any dermarolling?

Sebum overproduction can occur in androgenic alopecia (AGA). In many cases, the AGA process actually causes an increase in the size of the sebaceous gland next to the follicle and creates excess sebum production. Which, as I'm sure you can believe, causes an excess of sebum on the scalp. This can cause the "greasy" appearance you're describing. It really shouldn't change whether or not you're a candidate for surgery. It's a pretty normal part of AGA, and hair transplant surgery is a well accepted treatment for this type of hair loss.

Hey blake.

Apriciate you taking the time to answer me.

I am using a tiny amount of morrocoen oil on my hairs in the thin are after shower because i find that the toppik fibres clings better to the hair that Way.

Other thing i have been doing different from before is i wash my hair alot more this last year.

At least once a Day do i wash my hair.

Could that be the Reason?

I Also get This sebum thing on my sides and back and i am not putting This oil or toppik there.

I just feel that my hairloss har progressed ever since i noticed This extra sebum.

My forehead Also gets really oily only 7-8 hours after i have washed it.

That came along with the sebum.

Im suprized you cannot see it. If you zoom in really good you Can se small white dots on most of the roots of the hair

Hi Johnny,

I don't think washing it more would do anything. Maybe the opposite, in fact.

The oil could be playing some small role. But it doesn't sounds too significant.

If you're noticing more hair loss as your scalp looks greasier, I think it's a few things: 1) The AGA is progressing, and with this comes sebaceous gland growth and more sebum on the scalp; 2) you no longer have terminal hairs on the scalp to suck up the oil from the skin. Because of this, it all just sits there on the skin.

Regardless, it sounds like a natural byproduct of the AGA. I don't think this will affect your hair transplant.

Shoot Dr Lorenzo's clinic an email and see what they say. But I think you're okay. Good luck!

Dr. Blake Bloxham is recommended by the Hair Transplant Network.

Hair restoration physician - Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation

Previously "Future_HT_Doc" or "Blake_Bloxham" - forum co-moderator and editorial assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, Hair Restoration Network, Hair Loss Q&A blog, and Hair Loss Learning Center.

Click here to read my previous answers to hair loss and hair restoration questions, editorials, commentaries, and educational articles.

Now practicing hair transplant surgery with Coalition hair restoration physician Dr Alan Feller at our New York practice: Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation.

Please note: my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Hi Johnny,

I don't think washing it more would do anything. Maybe the opposite, in fact.

The oil could be playing some small role. But it doesn't sounds too significant.

If you're noticing more hair loss as your scalp looks greasier, I think it's a few things: 1) The AGA is progressing, and with this comes sebaceous gland growth and more sebum on the scalp; 2) you no longer have terminal hairs on the scalp to suck up the oil from the skin. Because of this, it all just sits there on the skin.

Regardless, it sounds like a natural byproduct of the AGA. I don't think this will affect your hair transplant.

Shoot Dr Lorenzo's clinic an email and see what they say. But I think you're okay. Good luck!

Well i dont Think its because of the lack of hair to suck up the oil because the oil is Also on the back and sides where i have somewhat thick hair

It could be that i am not responding so Well on fin anymore after 5 years.

Maybe i should ad dutasteride 2xa week?

I just send Them and email and is waiting for an answer.

Again thank you ?

• 2 weeks later...

@Johnny2000

When did you start and stop Nizoral? Have you ever used Ketoconazole 2%? Have you also noticed an increase in crusting or skin shedding in the last twelve months?

My opinions are my own. I am one representative of MyWHTC Clinic's European branch.

Consultation Dates & Cities for Dr. Patrick Mwamba

London, United Kingdom - Available (Sat.)

Zurich, Switzerland - Available (Saturday)

Bologna, Italy - Available (Saturday)

Brussles, Belgium - Available (Sun.-Sat.) *No Fee*

Dr. Patrick Mwamba is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

@Johnny2000

When did you start and stop Nizoral? Have you ever used Ketoconazole 2%? Have you also noticed an increase in crusting or skin shedding in the last twelve months?

I have not tried nizoral 2 %.

But Right now i am using clobex Every other Day, advices by dr lorenzo.

After 4 days i Can allready see a decrease in This sebum crap.

Hopefully i Can get hair back ?