Tugain - Foam or Solution?

hairsprint

Hello..

I was confused by the usage of the words 'Foam' and 'Solution' on references to Tugain. Can you help me understand the similarities and differences, if any, between the two with regards to their composition, the results they help produce and their usage? Also, can one swap one with the other, if need be...?

Thanks for your comments...

Hey sprint,

I'm not familiar with the brand "Tugain," but a quick Google search revealed that it's essentially a minoxidil solution like "Rogaine."

The foam versus the liquid issues breaks down as follows:

The liquid is similar to any other slightly viscous liquid product you would apply basically anywhere on your body. To me, I think it has a consistency similar to after shave (if people still use this any longer -- haha).

The foam is more like a light mousse or shaving cream.

The efficacy of both with be the same. I've noticed that people tend to like the foam solutions better than the liquid for several reasons:

1) The liquid version contains a few more ingredients that tend to be more drying and irritating to the scalp. Minoxidil users who experience scalp redness or flaking with the liquid version frequently do better when switching to the foam.

2) The foam tends to be an easier and "less messy" application. The liquid form tends to "run" a bit, and I've heard complaints about it being less user friendly.

You absolutely could swap one for the other if needed. They both contain the same amount of the active ingredient (5% minoxidil).

I hope this helps! Happy growing.

Dr. Blake Bloxham is recommended by the Hair Transplant Network.

Hair restoration physician - Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation

Previously "Future_HT_Doc" or "Blake_Bloxham" - forum co-moderator and editorial assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, Hair Restoration Network, Hair Loss Q&A blog, and Hair Loss Learning Center.

Click here to read my previous answers to hair loss and hair restoration questions, editorials, commentaries, and educational articles.

Now practicing hair transplant surgery with Coalition hair restoration physician Dr Alan Feller at our New York practice: Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation.

Please note: my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.