Importance of Fatty Acids in hairloss

Smoothy

MOst of us have known this for a while, but fatty acids such as omega fatty acids are vital for hair growth and nutrients. When one is low on these omega acids they could loose hair because the hair is not as healthy.

Just fyi.

GNC and most grocery stores sell Omega fatty acids vitamins to supplement any low carb, diets or any diets of that matter.

MOst of us have known this for a while, but fatty acids such as omega fatty acids are vital for hair growth and nutrients. When one is low on these omega acids they could loose hair because the hair is not as healthy.

Just fyi.

GNC and most grocery stores sell Omega fatty acids vitamins to supplement any low carb, diets or any diets of that matter.

I posted this on another discussion thread:

"The best source of Omega-3 fatty acids are in fish and fish oil. For Omega-6 fatty acids, the source is plant and plant oils. Your body CANNOT produce these fats and they are essential. They are used in cell membranes and the and the production of substances that help regulate blood pressure and blood clotting. You HAVE to get them from food.

An Omega-6 fat called linoleic acid is found in sunflower oil, walnuts, red meats, and poultry.

An Omega-3 fat called linolenic acid is found in fatty cold-water fish like tuna and salmon as well as in flaxseed oil.

All the information that I gave above is not just off the top of my head. I got it from a study that basically studies good vs. bad fats. (I hope that I didnt plagorize it too much! heh heh)

Just remember as a general rule of thumb: if its good for your heart, liver, and skin, its probably good for your hair (through circulation, etc.) though I have read that diet contributes to less than 3% of all documented hair loss cases. (Dont quote me on that, I am going by memory on that part)"

Im a firm believer in a good diet. After all, how can one expect a healthy body after chowing down on junk food day after day?

-Robert

-------------------

As forum moderator and a Patient Advocate for the Coalition I'm available to answer any questions.

To view animations and videos and learn about leading hair restoration physicians visit http://www.regrowhair.com/our_physicians.asp

------------------------------

Check out the results of my surgical hair restoration performed by Dr. Jerry Cooley by visiting my Hair Loss Weblog

This conversation brings a question to mind? Omega 3.. I do not like fish for that matter anything from the water.

What factor does it really play to basically not have any of that "Omega-3 fat called linolenic acid" in your diet?

Or is there another source that wasn't mentioned besides water creatures.

HBT,

I do not think that the lack of Omega 3's or 6's will have an extreme detrimental effect on hair loss. However, the body as a whole needs these nutrients for a well-balanced regimen. If you think that you may need to supplement your diet with these minerals, you should be able to find adequate supplementation at GNC, CVS, Walgreens, etc.

-Robert

-------------------

As forum moderator and a Patient Advocate for the Coalition I'm available to answer any questions.

To view animations and videos and learn about leading hair restoration physicians visit http://www.regrowhair.com/our_physicians.asp

Check out the results of my surgical hair restoration performed by Dr. Jerry Cooley by visiting my Hair Loss Weblog

Actually, while the body needs both Omega 3 and 6, the typical "western diet" provides an excess of Omega 6 in the body...a typical ratio in the US is 16:1 (Omega 6 to Omega 3)..while a healthy ratio is something like 3:1..thus the need normally for most people in this country to use supplement on the Omega 3 side for better health for your heart and vascular system...

eat more fish, less red meat...flaxseed is an excellent source as well...

4600 grafts/ 12/10/2003/ Dr. Jerry Wong

Aren't you glad you know me, and have such easy access to my dementia???

This conversation brings a question to mind? Omega 3.. I do not like fish for that matter anything from the water.

What factor does it really play to basically not have any of that "Omega-3 fat called linolenic acid" in your diet?

Or is there another source that wasn't mentioned besides water creatures.

hbt,

i think if you take an omega 6 capsule instead of eating fish to get the nutrient its the same.

this way you can avoid the fish

Cas

630 FUT - 8/27/03

2200 FUT - 5/20/05

2000 FUT - 12/15/07

"i haven't been this bald since.... well... since I was born!"

hbt,

i think if you take an omega 6 capsule instead of eating fish to get the nutrient its the same.

this way you can avoid the fish

Cas

Cas..you want the Omega 3 capsule, not the 6..it does get confusing..lol

4600 grafts/ 12/10/2003/ Dr. Jerry Wong

Aren't you glad you know me, and have such easy access to my dementia???

Just to post the contrary example: I've been a serious fish consumer much of my adult life - mostly fatty fish like herring, salmon, sardines - as I just feel good on it.

Nevertheless, I ended up a Norwood 5 case anyway. Probably because my granddad was a Norwood 6 by the time he was 50 ( and he never considered HT )

What pill or nutrient is approved for mpb?

Finasteride and Minoxidil. That is it.

-Robert

-------------------