is minoxidil overuse possible?

harry1

You can certainly overdose with topical minoxidil though it's uncommon. I'm not familiar with dosing recommendations for 15% minoxidil. However, it's always best to follow the instructions or recommendation of your physician when using medications. Even if those are non-prescription.

Overdosing may cause low blood pressure and irregular heartbeat.

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

• 1 month later...

Harry,

I've been using minoxidil for many years and recently have begun to make my own 15% from 5% Rogaine.I know alot about this treatment. (Just by the way, it might be useful for you to know that Johnson & Johnson stopped making 5% Extra Strength Rogaine two years ago but have continued to put it in their 5% packaging!! So, be ware!)

So, first of all, I'd like to know why you are using it only on weekends? I really don't think that would be effective beyond what you are doing the rest of the wk

Secondly, I've found that I do not have side effects at 15% dosage. However, when I accidentally make a batch that's higher in concentration I begin to experience a mild fever--so that can't be good. It should also be worth noting that when I started to use 5% I did have chest pains, some discomfort in my neck, and a cold nose in winter--all, no doubt, related to circulatory changes brought on by the drug. (Should be duly noted that when I started to use 5% I had long hair and it was very difficult to apply the med and often took me over an hour. So I may have got a much higher dose just through the use of my hands and all the fuss; or it may be--and i'm sure this is at least partly true--that my body has acclimated to a certain extent.)

Thirdly, I have a question for you: Which brand of 15% are you using? And, how's it going with that?

Mark

:

Hi Mark - I dye my hair with henna dye on Sunday nights so I can't use the 15% minox then. They recommend to let the Henna set for about 24 hours so I don't use the 15% minox on Monday nights either. I probably put it in my hair before bed 2-3 times/week. Sometimes I forget. Nizoral can strip my hair a bit so I definitely like to use the 15% minox after washing with Nizoral. I find that the morning after my hair looks thicker and fuller so I would def recommend. I get mine mixed by Murray Avenue Apocarthy. I also use Rogaine foam in the shower every day.

Harry,

I've just seen your response and I'm going to send you a reply in a couple of days. I'm working on something right now that's priority. . . I'm pretty sure I've got some valuable info for you though (for instance, I just don't see anyway that using minoxidil at any strenght 2-3 times a wk could be helpful, and the foam you're using, made by Rogaine, may not be 5% strength--the solution they make is 2% in 5% packaging; so god only knows what's in the foam?! Anyway, more on that later, I'm in the process of making a formal complaint with the FDA--this is no joke, they made the switch two years ago, so be harned, please!!

I'm assuming you haven't got all your hair back, and so, I think I may be able to help you accomplish this (I know how this must sound). I myself have accomplished this after 17 years of hair loss!! Just let me know, first: How long have you been losing your hair? How old are you? And, why aren't you using finasteride?

Best wishes,

Mark