Dr. Lindsey talks with previous strip case and films MFUE case

Here's are stylist that I posted recently. He's had 2 strip cases and has fairly fine hair and a tight scalp.

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/180162-dr-lindsey-4-year-visit-2-frontal-cases-hairdresser-mclean-va.html

We did 1000 MFUE this morning and filmed it. He's a friend of the practice and will certainly be back for followup and likely even one more case....hair greed!

The video link is:

Dr. Lindsey McLean VA

William H. Lindsey, MD, FACS

McLean, VA

Dr. William Lindsey is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

Great video! And another very good use of mFUE. Thanks for sharing!

Dr. Blake Bloxham is recommended by the Hair Transplant Network.

Hair restoration physician - Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation

Previously "Future_HT_Doc" or "Blake_Bloxham" - forum co-moderator and editorial assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, Hair Restoration Network, Hair Loss Q&A blog, and Hair Loss Learning Center.

Click here to read my previous answers to hair loss and hair restoration questions, editorials, commentaries, and educational articles.

Now practicing hair transplant surgery with Coalition hair restoration physician Dr Alan Feller at our New York practice: Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation.

Please note: my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Hi Dr. Lindsey

Totally fascinated by this. Thanks so much for sharing(and to your patient!)

Some questions:

-maybe its just the video but it seemed like you took the punches from sort of a straight line across the scalp so the cumulatively the stitched up area kinda looks like a solid strip. I know that isn't really the case, but it might be good to film again as the stitches come out?

-How does the tool avoid any transection?

-I assume it was 1000 MFUE grafts and not hairs? So was it about 50 punches?

-Forgive me for asking but your tech Stephanie wasn't wearing a mask--almost all the clinics I've seen/visited have their techs wearing a mask around the cutting board--just curious.

THANKS AGAIN FOR SHARING THIS CASE!

Davis

Good questions.

Yes, I go in 2 or 3 rows with a little stagger so as to break up the scarline but leave a bunch of "virgin" donor area.

I think we did 34 punches and got 989 grafts.

I'm sure we transect a few hairs. With a scalpel I can go slow and pull the strip out of the way and minimize this but with the punch..yes a few get transected. But the root stays and grows again, so it will camouflage that little scarline similar to a tricho closure with the bevel edge in a strip case.

Hair work is a clean case. Anyone who tells you that any scalp case, other than with a plastic surgical drape stapled to the skin (craniectomy) is sterile is full of it. It is nearly impossible to infect the scalp of a healthy non smoker using clean, not sterile, technique. The definitions of these are widely available in surgical texts and likely on the internet...its just the internet wasn't around when I had to memorize those definitions. You note that I was not wearing a mask while making slits and in 20 years I have had exactly 1 scalp infection in a nonsmoker...and that was on a health care worker 2 years ago who had a container of fluid containing MRSA explode on them 2 days before their case and they didn't want to postpone surgery and thus didn't tell me until after they got infected, and after exposing my office to MRSA. And me too, I'd just had surgery 3 days before that case....

We all wear masks during allergy season(to prevent sneezing on the tissue/patient), when any of us has colds, or if we have our faces/noses/mouths directly in the wound field...FUE extraction for example.

Again, in my practice I have had exactly 1 scalp infection in non smoker, non diabetics in 20 years and 17 days. And in 3800 facelifts, roughly half in the office without masks but using sterile instrument technique, like hair work, I have had exactly 1 non smoker face infection in the same time frame...and it was in a patient who it appears had radiation to the left breast with radiation scatter to the left cheek. I do the left cheek first and use the same instruments on the right cheek...so if it was the instruments or my hand, both cheeks should have been infected...thus I'm fairly sure it was the left sided radiation exposure.

Good questions.

Thanks

Dr. Lindsey

McLean, VA

Dr. William Lindsey is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

• 4 weeks later...

I updated this guys story today with a video of his donor area at 29 days postop. The link is:

Dr. Lindsey Video interview of MFUE scar area at 29 days McLean VA - Forum By and for Hair Loss Patients

McLean, VA

I updated his progress and did a video of his scar today at 29 days.

The link is: Dr. Lindsey Video interview of MFUE scar area at 29 days McLean VA - Forum By and for Hair Loss Patients

McLean, VA

• 3 weeks later...

Victor walked in this morning. He's still doing no scar care at all. I did a quick video on him and really there is no obvious sign that he had anything done, until you see my old strip scar at the bottom.

He'll be back in a month or 2 for another check, but it will be December until he starts growing in the recipient area.

The video is:

Dr. Lindsey McLean VA

McLean, VA