Question and Concerns

1Chance2

I am 11 days post-op and had the rest of my 28 staples taken out today.(yes, staples) Doing fine but have some questions and concerns. Did my research prior to my HT and had most of my questions answered by my doctor but wish I had discovered this site before my procedure. First off I had 1000 grafts done at $4500.(reenforced frontal hairline and the rest throughout the top scalp, 500 each area, none on the crown area.) How do I know if I really had 1000 done? Have a pretty good head of hair but wanted to stop or fill in thinning areas before it got too bad and noticeable. I am taking Propecia to keep the rest of my hair and was told that Propecia is great for regrowing hair on the crown area, true or false? Next concern is this SHOCK period...I was informed that my hair would be thinner after the HT but it would grow back. This is a result of where he (the doctor) was making the graft incisions and it would cut the hair that I have on my head. I do have somewhat thinner hair in the areas worked on but isn't that bad....my question is this my "shock" or is there some delayed reaction that I should expect and see more hair loss before the transplants take affect?

I am 11 days post-op and had the rest of my 28 staples taken out today.(yes, staples) Doing fine but have some questions and concerns. Did my research prior to my HT and had most of my questions answered by my doctor but wish I had discovered this site before my procedure. First off I had 1000 grafts done at $4500.(reenforced frontal hairline and the rest throughout the top scalp, 500 each area, none on the crown area.) How do I know if I really had 1000 done? Have a pretty good head of hair but wanted to stop or fill in thinning areas before it got too bad and noticeable. I am taking Propecia to keep the rest of my hair and was told that Propecia is great for regrowing hair on the crown area, true or false? Next concern is this SHOCK period...I was informed that my hair would be thinner after the HT but it would grow back. This is a result of where he (the doctor) was making the graft incisions and it would cut the hair that I have on my head. I do have somewhat thinner hair in the areas worked on but isn't that bad....my question is this my "shock" or is there some delayed reaction that I should expect and see more hair loss before the transplants take affect?

How do I know if I really had 1000 done? Have a pretty good head of hair but wanted to stop or fill in thinning areas before it got too bad and noticeable.

I doubt 1000 grafts will give you a WOW reaction. If you still have a decent amount of hair left, the effect could be subtle, except at the hairline I guess.

I am taking Propecia to keep the rest of my hair and was told that Propecia is great for regrowing hair on the crown area, true or false?

Propecia works best at keeping the hair you still have. That makes it valuable. It's not as good at regrowing hair, but it can reverse hair loss in some guys, especially guys with recent hair loss. It doesn't work for every single guy, about one in five will not respond. Give it a year at least.

Next concern is this SHOCK period...I was informed that my hair would be thinner after the HT but it would grow back. This is a result of where he (the doctor) was making the graft incisions and it would cut the hair that I have on my head. I do have somewhat thinner hair in the areas worked on but isn't that bad....my question is this my "shock" or is there some delayed reaction that I should expect and see more hair loss before the transplants take affect?

You could continue to see shock loss, you are still in the time frame when shock could happen.

Propecia can help with shock loss, although beginning Propecia just before surgery isn't the best way to do it. You should be on Propecia as long as possible before surgery, because there is an adjustment period and some guys go through a minor shed period. You should start using propecia as soon as you notice hair loss being a problem, in my opinion.

Your strategy of just getting 1000 grafts may not have been the best one, because if you lose more hair due to shock loss than you gain from your transplant, you have wasted money (and hair).

Guys with diffuse hair loss, minor amounts of thinning, beginning stages of hair loss etc, need to think carefully about whether a hair transplant will be a good idea. If shock loss hits you hard and you only got a small number of grafts, you can end up with less hair after your transplant than you had before.

Hopefully that will not happen to you, just remain calm and pamper your head for the next few weeks and months. Stay on Propecia and keep your fingers crossed. Assume everything will turn out positive. My comments are just discussing general strategies and may not apply to your specific situation.

You may want to post some pics, and also get some feedback from other people too.

Who was your doctor? Age, rank and serial number?