Finasteride - Shedding ALOT

Torel

Hey guys,

I'm new here. I'm 33 and I've been losing my hair for about the last 5-6 years. (hair loss doesnt run in my family at all, so yay me being the lucky one :mad:

)

Anyway I finally decided to do something about it and started taking Finasteride about 5-ish weeks ago. Since then my hair has started to fall out at an incredible rate, much more than I've ever noticed before and its quite distressing.

Is this normal guys?

I will say that what motivated me to finally bite the bullet and start on tablets, was that I was already going through a phase where i seemed to be losing hair at an increased rate, however this now is way more noticeable.

I run a comb through my hair first thing in the morning and I'm literally coming away with between 40-60 hairs and that's before my shower.

On a complete side point and not related to the above: in regards to the scare stories of side effects of these tablets; for the first 4-ish weeks, I did experience a noticeable loss in libido and found maintaining an erection more difficult, however this week feeling like my old self again, with the same drives.

Not sure how much of that was real and how much was worry about the side effects happening at all, but hopefully that wont happen again as it was a very strange sensation.

Anyway guys, any advice you can offer on this shedding thing would be most appreciated.

Hi there,

It's not uncommon to get a shed when taking propecia, it can also be seen as a good indicator that it will work for you.

I went through a shed for about 6 weeks and then it finally settled down, however it can vary from person to person.

I'm glad the sides have subsided, that's great fella.

Hair Transplant Dr Feller Oct 2011

Hair Transplant Dr Lorenzo June 2014

Shedding has never been reported in the literature, but people do say it happens. I doubt it is happening to you, do you have any photos that show visible loss?

As for the sides, people do get hypervigilant when taking this drug, in your case the sides have resolved, so I don't see an issue.

Torel,

An initial "shedding phase" during the first 3-4 months of finasteride use is very normal. In fact, it happens with almost all commonly used preventive medications -- IE nizoral and minoxidil. You should notice this shedding gradually decrease and then the hairs should grow back. Hopefully, they will grow back thicker and stronger. Remember that most experts recommend continuing the medication for at least 6 months before determining if you're seeing results. However, 12 months is almost universally accepted as the amount of time you should continue to determine if it's effective for you.

The only caveat is the side effects. If you are experiencing side effects, you should discuss these with the doctor who prescribed the medication.

Hope this helps! Best of luck.

Dr. Blake Bloxham is recommended by the Hair Transplant Network.

Hair restoration physician - Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation

Previously "Future_HT_Doc" or "Blake_Bloxham" - forum co-moderator and editorial assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, Hair Restoration Network, Hair Loss Q&A blog, and Hair Loss Learning Center.

Click here to read my previous answers to hair loss and hair restoration questions, editorials, commentaries, and educational articles.

Now practicing hair transplant surgery with Coalition hair restoration physician Dr Alan Feller at our New York practice: Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation.

Please note: my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Thank you so much guys.

That's a relief, as honestly I've never really experienced a shed of this magnitude before but it started properly about 3 weeks in to the treatment, which seemed abit coincidental.

As for side effects, the effects on my libido seem to have completely subsided. (always had a very high sex drive and it was somewhat off putting being so devoid of ability or inclination for a few weeks).

As for ability, well that's still a little affected but ultimately seems to be less so and I'm really not sure how much of that was psychosomatic and a nocebo effect, as I've always suffered from some degree of performance anxiety and I think the fear of the side effects, just compounded this issue.

I am considering going to my doctor anyway, just to make sure he knows I'm on Propecia (I got my prescription through Boots Pharmacy using their automated questionnaire, so he isn't aware that I'm taking this medication). I've never even went to my doctor about my hair loss, as was too embarrassed to consult over something that's considered so trivial, but I should probably keep him informed.

Thanks Again everyone!!!