Tap water, substitute for saline solution

Hi,

I'm 8 days post op. Ran out of saline solution today, so started using tap water in its place. In the post-op care instructions it says this is ok.

I've notice a tingling sensation when I spray water on the recipient (maybe even a very very low level mild burning sensation). I never noticed this with the saline solution. Should I stop all together with the spray, or just carry on with the water?

Hi Squatch, thanks for your reply, although I'm not sure if you meant to post it here?

Does anyone have any experience of experiencing a slight tingling/burning sensation from transitioning from saline solution to water? Could it be all in my mind?!

It could be all in you're mind buddy. Remember you've just had surgery so you're bound to feel something. My physician have me saline Spray to use for 3 days after the op then I had a scalp spray wich had a mild anastetic in it if my memory serves me well, to use until the scabs fell off wich happened at around 2 weeks post op. I was gently washing and conditioning my graft area after 7 days

Hi Squatch, thanks for your reply, although I'm not sure if you meant to post it here?

Does anyone have any experience of experiencing a slight tingling/burning sensation from transitioning from saline solution to water? Could it be all in my mind?!

What I was implying..... Most are already using regular tap water and a mild shampoo at this stage. A week later should not be a negative issue. May be related to the scabs separating. Everyone reacts different to healing. Good luck for the future! Hard wait in front of you. ;)

Dr.Gabel 3972 FUT 11/3/14

Progress/Results Below ;)

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/177388-3972-fut-dr-gabel.html

Saline is normally recommended for at least the three days following a HT procedure primarily because of its sterile solution while keeping the grafts moist.

The tingling or slightly stinging sensation from tap water may be due to the tap water having ammonia, fluoride, and who knows what other additives are added to the water supply that comes out of the faucet...:rolleyes:

The other guys make a good point in that being past one week post-op, your crusts are probably ready to come off.

Did you get some post-op instructions from your clinic/doctor? They probably want you to start mild shampooing at this point in time so it would be a good idea to see what their advice is at this point in time.

Congrats on your recent procedure and happy growth to you...;)

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

I usually have my patients wash with shampoo and tap water the very next day. It's not a problem for the grafts. The issue isn't the potential drying out of the grafts, if that were an issue a few sprays per day of saline would not help.

The point of spray moistening the scalp post op for the first few days is just to soften the crusts a bit to allow them to come off a bit easier. But it's not necessary. A shower once per day with shampoo will do the same thing and provide the mechanical cleansing necessary to encourage those scabs to come off.

By the way, the tops of the grafts are NOT alive. So when it falls off in the form of a crust it is meaningless.

The tingling is probably coincidental as stunned nerves are probably waking up and firing. It will usually sort itself out in time.