Are you talking about smoking tobacco with a hookah, or marijuana? The term "hookah" refers to the instrument itself, correct?

I would take a look at this: http://www.regrowhair.com/hair...replacement-surgery/

If you're talking about pot, marijuana smoke can contain more tar, carbon monoxide, and other carcinogens than tobacco, so either way I'd avoid it. You can hold off. icon_razz.gif

-------

All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my My Hair Loss Website

Ah, I see.

You'll read about patients who were seemingly proud of the fact that they didn't abstain from smoking before/after their procedure; some claim to have even taken cigarette breaks during the surgery. So I won't insist that puffing on some flavored tobacco will definitely influence graft growth in the end, but it's possible it will delay your healing.

I smoked for eight years and observed that my resting heart rate would rise a bit every time I lit up, so it stands to reason that blood pressure might also be immediately affected. Enough to pop out the grafts? No. But it just seems like common sense to me that anything you can personally do to minimize the risk of experiencing complications would be in your best interest.

Ultimately, it's your judgment call. What does your doctor recommend?

-------

All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my My Hair Loss Website

Billy, There's a reason docs tell you not to smoke pre- and post op: smoking significantly reduces your body's circulation and vascularity, which can in turn effect your healing time. Will smoking mean a poor HT result? Maybe, maybe not. Is it worth the risk? That's up to you...

I am the owner/operator of AHEAD INK a Scalp Micropigmentation Company in Fort Lee, New Jersey. www.aheadink.com

Not all doctors take the stance of no smoking, H&W for example allow you to take cigarettes breaks, however, I agree with the other two posters - Why risk it? Personally, I quit around a month before hand.

If a patient smokes and is going to continue to smoke after the procedure, then it doesn't make much sense to prohibit them from indulging their habit during breaks from surgery. In fact it's probably best that a patient with a heavy addiction is not getting antsy in the chair.

I know from personal experience that cigarettes are very bad for the circulation, so my main worry would be the issue of scalp vascularity and possible effects on yield.

I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal.

My FUE Procedure With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com