HTN Integrity Commision

scar5

I call on you all, as moderators at HTN, to clearly define the terms of procedure types for hair transplants. I specifically refer the the Feller clinic's attempt to call their latest kind of procedure 'mFUE' .

FUE stands for Follicular Unit Extraction

For the sake of the integrity of the HTN, please do not allow this to slide.

Show some standards!

Make it clear.

FUE means one follicle unit is extracted from the scalp at a time.

You should also call FUT either strip or FUSS, because all FUE is FUT - that is real FUE.

You can call Dr. Feller's new technique, "Slab extraction". SE. but what ever you do, do not let them call it FUE. You are demeaning the name of FUE.

Act now for the your long term integrity.

actually FUE is called the Wooodzzz technique if you want to get technical..... don't hear anyone referring to FUE as the Wooodzzz technique these days do ya?

who gives a rats ass wat someone wants to call their new technique. Dr. A calls his technique FUSE. ppl are getting their panties in a knot cause someone wants to introduce a modified technique and give it a name. hence m (Modified) FUE.....

wat u think the entire HT industry is now at risk cause one doctor wants to refer to his technique as a modified version of wat we all know? u act like there is a copyright to the FUE technique or somthn.

heaven forbid a doctor introduces somthn new that might benefit some ppl. this whole argument is so ridiculous! if ur not interested in that technique then don't go there or refer anyone there. pretty simple.

WTF does someone introducing a modified version of an existing technique have to do with integrity? its called progress and advancement. thats a bad thing?

thats like saying a car manufacture can't come up with new or modified headlights. right now we know HID stands for (High intensity discharge) and LED stands for (Light emitting diode). they BOTH both project light and their BOTH found on modern cars.

shud we question the integrity of headlights now cause manufactures are now offering LED's and HID's? so now no manufacture can come up with a new design and call it somthn different? again, they both project light. just like both FUE and mFUE are transplant techniques.

see how absurd this argument is sounding......

Actually nomenclature is extremely important in Medicine. Without precise descriptive terms of a anatomical structure or procedure communication and understanding between professionals would be impossible.

Actually nomenclature is extremely important in Medicine. Without precise descriptive terms of a anatomical structure or procedure communication and understanding between professionals would be impossible.

Agreed, but I think that the variations should not be called "techniques" per se. They are all FUE as Scar5 says, which is itself the technique. You have the W**d's Technique, CIT, FIT,FUSE,Ugraft, Neograft, ARTAS, etc. etc. They're all FUE. The difference is the punch , whether is is a human hand/hand held motor/ or robot holding said punch and whether or not the rotation of the punch is an oscillation or a continuous rotation. With mFUE it appears to be a rocking motion but it is still removal of individual follicular units one by one. (**EDIT** I can't verify this. "Miniature strips"? Maybe this takes out more than one FU at a time?) That is by definition, FUE. I've stopped referring to strip as FUT because it stands for follicular unit transplant which is by definition all modern hair transplants. Strip to me is FUSS or "follicular unit strip surgery". I've written about this extensively on my website in the terms & definitions section.

Edited by JoeTillman

That is my point Joe, FUSS is a far more accurate term than FUT and FUE should mean just that, extraction of "a" follicular unit period. mFUSS again seems to me as a more professional and accurately descriptive term than mFUE.

I call on you all, as moderators at HTN, to clearly define the terms of procedure types for hair transplants. I specifically refer the the Feller clinic's attempt to call their latest kind of procedure 'mFUE' .

FUE stands for Follicular Unit Extraction

For the sake of the integrity of the HTN, please do not allow this to slide.

Show some standards!

Make it clear.

FUE means one follicle unit is extracted from the scalp at a time.

You should also call FUT either strip or FUSS, because all FUE is FUT - that is real FUE.

You can call Dr. Feller's new technique, "Slab extraction". SE. but what ever you do, do not let them call it FUE. You are demeaning the name of FUE.

Act now for the your long term integrity.

In reference to strip, we made the decision years ago to only use follicular unit strip surgery (FUSS) for the very same reason you pointed out. FUT technically describes both strip and FUE. Despite this, many clinics still refer to strip as FUT and we have no control over that. Likewise, we have no say in what Drs. Feller, Lindsey and Bloxham call their new technique.

As members of the community with a voice, anyone is free to make suggestions to them. Ultimately, it's their decision.

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website