Propecia side effects

chi-town37

Is there anyone on this thread who has permanently stopped taking propecia and can impart their experiences? I’m interested to know:

(i) Did the side effects you experienced during the period you took propecia subside (assuming you experienced any such side effects)? If so, how long did it take to get “back to normal”?

(ii) Have you experienced any potential new side effects after having stopped (I say “potential”, because I suppose whatever you might be experiencing post-propecia could be caused by something totally unrelated)?

My hairloss story (briefly): I started losing my hair (noticeable to me and some of my sadistic friends) at about 22 years old. I started taking propecia probably around age 27 or 28 (I honestly can’t remember exactly when), and have been taking regularly since (I’m now 39 years old). I would say that my hairloss results have been positive in so far as I’ve only lost a very little amount of hair over that 10-11 year period. Given the fact that my bald spot was clearly growing between ages 22-26, I can only assume I’d have very little on top today had it not been for the propecia.

That said, I have experienced varying levels of decreased libido/interest in sex over the years, as well as noticed (at varying times) watery semen. In addition, my erections are generally less hard than they were when I was younger.

Given my current circumstances in life, I’m starting to consider stopping propecia (and I’m willing to accept (well, I think I’m willing to accept) that most of my hair on top will thereafter gradually jump ship).

What I’m mostly concerned/interested about are answers to my question (ii) above.

Thanks!

Edited by Camus2910

Unfortunately I'm in the same boat. Been taking Propecia since 1997.

In 2007 I started experiencing sides such as ED, low libido, loss of morning erections, etc.

In 2015 my libido is basically gone. My testosterone levels went to 200. My estradiol went to 70 (way over the limit for a man).

Within the last few weeks I started seeing a MD who has given me Clomid to increase T levels and Aromatase Inhibitors to decrease estrogen. Almost immediately I had morning wood after years of not feeling it. It's not daily and strong like I used to be.

After doing some research I now see how Propecia could be the root cause of male sexual dysfunction that I am experiencing.

I am weening off it by taking half a tablet for a week, then a quarter of a tablet and so on until I can get off it.

I've noticed a lot more hair falling out after taking the Clomid. My hair stylist noticed as well. He said hair loss due to increase testosterone is permanent. This stresses me out as I'm not sure what to expect once I totally go off Propecia.

Can anyone comment on their experiences please?

Using Propecia since 1997

Using Rogaine Foam once a day since 2012

Using Niazoral 2% once a week since 2012