A burning question

hi guys i have been loosing my hair since 19 i am now 27.

i am a diffused thin all over, you can see my pics from previous posts.

one thing that has been bugging me for years is i loose hair all the time, i mean as i write this message on my laptop 2 hairs have fallen, whilst im at work i see hair on my desk, sometimes on phone screen. i don't get it, does everyones hair fall like this?

MPB does run in the family, but i find this very excessive, even when i stoke my head hair falls, it always been like this since i was 19, could this be down to some sort of deficiency? any suggestions?

i have had my thyroid and iron checked that was normal.

what was interesting was a few months back i got on hair skin and nails supplements along with biotin, hair loss reduced by 70% and my scalp was no longer visible, i had much greater coverage, but then had to stop as i suffered an allergic reaction.

would be grateful for peoples thoughts and suggestions, or anyone with familiar experience.

Many Thanks.

As Spex stated, the average, healthy scalp loses roughly 100 hairs throughout the day. It's truly difficult to gauge just how much hair we lose in a given day since we typically only see a small portion. Obviously, thinning occurs when the rate of hair loss exceeds the rate of hair growth and fallen hairs either grow back in miniaturized form or don't regrow at all.

Since you've stated that you have diffusely thinning hair and male pattern baldness runs in the family, you're likely losing more than the average.

Have you consulted with a hair restoration physician and been evaluated for androgenic alopecia (genetic hair loss)? In looking over your profile and photos, I see that you are using Propecia (finasteride). How long have you been taking it? Do you also use Rogaine?

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

Have you seen a Dermatologist? You may also have low Vitamin D or even ferritin which is how your body stores Iron. Less common in males but it can occur. Do you eat well balanced meals? There is also a medical condition called telogen effluvian (TE) where the hair cycles become stalled in the shedding cycle. Another reason that shedding can happen is starting and stopping treatments, even over the counter things. What supplement were you taking? Was it a protein?

Ailene Russell, NCMA

Clinical Supervisor for Dr. Jerry Cooley

Carolina Dermatology Haircenter

Charlotte, NC

Thanks for the replies guys.

My hair has been getting thing slowly since I was 14. And started falling at 19. Initially in the first 6 months of hairloss when I was 19 I lost a chunk from my right temple, subsequent years although lots of hair was falling I had a decent head of hair although in certain light you could see my scalp, I would even go as far to say it had slowed down these last few years.

However past summer it really has picked up. I have quite a lot from the left temple and see see hair falling everywhere, my bed, my desk, my phone you name it! I eat very healthily no junk at all.

A few months back I bought hair skin & nails supplements from h&b and biotin and my hairloss reduced by 70% my scalp was no longer visible and hair looked thicker. Although I did not have any regrowth in temples.

That got me thinking could my hairloss be done to a deficiency? I had to stop the vitamins as I got greedy by taking some pumpkin oil (orally for the hair) and subsequently became intolerant to the vitamins due to a reactioin.

I have had my iron level tested a few years back it was normal.

Took finesteride in 2008 when initial hairloss started but had to stop after 10 days or so, for ED and severe acne both of which I still suffer from to this day.

Hair is falling everywhere. I'm fed up to be honest. Cut my hair to no1 yesterday everyone at work said it didn't suit me. Hairloss really gets me down and depressed.

Thanks for the help guys.

Are you thinking about having a procedure? I have been considering it but I'd be very interested in your opinion.

I've just been navigating the waters of the various options for transplants. I am little to none on top with thick hair on the sides and back.

• 4 weeks later...

It sounds to me if you have thick hair on the sides and back that you probably could have a hair transplant .You could first go to a dermatologist get some advise if you don't want to go the HT route.If you decide to have an HT then I would consult doctors suggested by the forum on the top ten list ,view their videos do your home work you want to go to someone that's good especially because you are a young guy and you want a doctor that will have a plan for you now and down the road in case of future hair loss. Check all before and after pictures compare your hair loss to the pictures of people with similar hair loss and hair characteristics . Also take into consideration if you want to travel to have your HT done.

By the way my hairs are every but on my head I'm constantly finding my hair everywhere it's just enough to constantly remind you that it's going I find it a bit depressing myself.