Three trichologists, three diagnosis

jimjohanson

Hi everyone,

Since a few weeks, I suffer from significant hair loss. However, I am quite sure that it had started earlier and I have just recognized it when I had my last haircut. That is why I have visited different trichologists, all of them told me different reasons for my hair loss so I will give you some information about them.

1sts trichologist: Was not a real trichologists, more like a sales persons which sold me shampoos which should decrease the hair loss. He just looked at my hair with his eyes, made pictures and told me that it is because my last months had been stressful (which they were) and then he wanted to sell me an expensive laser therapy.

2nd trichologist: A qualified IAT who has her business since about 20 years and she was looking at my hair with a special magnifying glass. She told me that I suffer from male pattern baldness so I now have taken minoxidil for several weeks. This I thought was really the reason of my hair loss until I went to the third trichologist.

3rd trichologist: A qualified MIT who has his business since more than 30 years. He looked at my hair with a special micro camera which showed my scalp in much detail and he told me that he is sure that I do not suffer from male pattern boldness but much more likely from alopecia areata. I was just wondering that when I told him that in 95 % of male hair loss, it is due to male pattern boldness but he told me that this is not the case.

Do you have similar experiences? What do you recommend me to do?

I am grateful for every answer and if you have any questions to me, I am happy to answer them.

Hi Jim,

Welcome to the forums. Any way you could share some images? This would help the community examine your situation and way whether it looks more like androgenic alopecia (male pattern baldness) or alopecia areata.

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.