shockloss after a megasession?.no gurantee of hair lost coming back

hi i received a mail from dr keene.he said that in a megasession i can have shockloss and there is no gurantee of lost hair coming back.i am 27 years old and on finpecia and rogaine 5% since 18 months.help explain

hi i received a mail from dr keene.he said that in a megasession i can have shockloss and there is no gurantee of lost hair coming back.i am 27 years old and on finpecia and rogaine 5% since 18 months.help explain

Dr. Mejia has some good narrative/discussions about shockloss.

You can start there.

But basically, the native atrophic hair that is shocked will return.

The ones that do not return, were already too far along their dying route to return, i.e. they were too far minituarized to becoming vellus hair and the trauma caused them not to return.

take care...

Bllorayne,

When "shocking" occurs to the hair follicles, this causes them to go into the "telogen" (rest) phase for 3-4 months and then they return for the next "anagen" (growth) cycle that was supposed to occur, so you in effect move the time line up and those hairs are experiencing what should have happened 4-5 years later. The only hairs that you will completely lose then are those wispy, short ones that were on their last life cycle and also any follicles that were totally transected by the recipient site instrument, which is a lot more likely the denser the packing of sites is. You might counter with an argument that an individual hair surgeon is so good that he/she places the new sites precisely between the native hairs; the problem is that follicles don't necessarily descent straight down or even straight at the angle the hair appears to be at. They are often like sea-weed and curve all over the place under the skin, thus allowing a lot of transection. The good news is that a transected hair is not totally lost, since four different research studies by Kim, Swinehart, Limmer, and Reed all show a decent percentage of them will survive and regrow, because either of the growth centers, the bulb or the bulge, were left unharmed. This is one reason that I think reasonable planting densities of around 30 FU's per cm2 is a pretty good approach when there is a lot of native hair present.

Mike Beehner, M.D.

Excellent information Dr. Beehner, has anyone ever taken some sort of scan of what it looks like under the scalp? It would be interesting to see the arrangement.

Originally posted by Mike Beehner, M.D.:

Bllorayne,

When "shocking" occurs to the hair follicles, this causes them to go into the "telogen" (rest) phase for 3-4 months and then they return for the next "anagen" (growth) cycle that was supposed to occur, so you in effect move the time line up and those hairs are experiencing what should have happened 4-5 years later. The only hairs that you will completely lose then are those wispy, short ones that were on their last life cycle and also any follicles that were totally transected by the recipient site instrument, which is a lot more likely the denser the packing of sites is. You might counter with an argument that an individual hair surgeon is so good that he/she places the new sites precisely between the native hairs; the problem is that follicles don't necessarily descent straight down or even straight at the angle the hair appears to be at. They are often like sea-weed and curve all over the place under the skin, thus allowing a lot of transection. The good news is that a transected hair is not totally lost, since four different research studies by Kim, Swinehart, Limmer, and Reed all show a decent percentage of them will survive and regrow, because either of the growth centers, the bulb or the bulge, were left unharmed. This is one reason that I think reasonable planting densities of around 30 FU's per cm2 is a pretty good approach when there is a lot of native hair present.

Mike Beehner, M.D.

Dec. 2004 - 1938 Grafts via Strip

Feb. 2009 - 1002 Grafts via FUE