FUT questions, Dr. James Aronovitz - Detroit

Im 26 and have been losing my hair in the front hairline area for a couple years. I went to 3 different surgeons in my area, they all said i need 1600-1700 grafts. I checked out Dr. Aronovitz and his nephew James Aronovitz. James is not in the coalition but i preferred James to his uncle. He sat down and talked me through the procedure and answered my long list of questions on the 2nd consult. I felt his uncle kind of skimmed over major details and didnt seem too concerned about patient questions.

Any way, i think i am going to book with James Aronovitz in July. Wondering if anyone out there has had a procedure with him or heard about his work. (he's shown me many pictures, and gave references)

Also, I have some other concerns.

-I have been told that finesteride only really works for the crown, i know some people on here say you should wait a year after taking the medication to let your hair loss stabilize. However, i dont think waiting a year and taking the medication is going to restore my receding hairline. I was prescribed finesteride and may start taking it to help halt any future hair loss but would it be a good decision to proceed with my hairline restoration now? I realize in the future i will probably need another procedure or two.

-Being that i am young and may need another procedure in the future, One of the surgeons suggested against FUE as he said it may thin out the donor area for a future procedure. Also, all the doctors in my area only do FUT, and i've read through some of the pro's and con's of either surgery, and it doesnt bother me to have a scar since i normally wear my hair long.

Any other suggestions or tips? Im kinda nervous, i havent book my date yet, but i need too soon if i want to get it done this year.

I can't comment on the work of Dr. James Aronovitz as I've not seen any of his results.

Regarding finasteride, if your hair loss is all in the hairline then there is no value in waiting one year prior to surgery. However, I do recommend starting finasteride if there is a chance that your hair loss is progressive.

Photos and some family hair loss history would help us provide you with better advice regarding strip vs. FUE. Lots of guys are starting with FUE right out of the gate these days because they don't want the linear scar. If that is not a concern then you can generally get more grafts over a lifetime by maximizing the number of possible strip procedures and then them harvesting the remaining grafts via FUE.

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

Hi there. I'm from the same area as you and I've seen some of Dr. Arnovitz's work. I'm a few years ahead of you and have already had an FUT procedure with only satisfactory results, not by Dr. Aronovitz. I would not go ahead with it and give it a few more years to see where you are at. Dr. Aronovitz's work is only FUT which he has been doing for awhile since the 90's. That necessarily isn't a good thing. Just my thoughts.