question about scarring

I'm a bit confused about multiple procedures and scarring. I've read on this site a few times that the more procedures one has, the wider the scar becomes. However, in my situation I've had two fut's. The first one I had a tricho closure and the scar healed great. Probably couldn't find it unless I shaved my head. However, my second procedure was quite a bit smaller, just to fill in density in the hairline, but the dr. did not use thr tricho closure stating that he wouldn't get as many grafts if he did. Thus he did the standard closure. Consequently, I can now notice a fine linear scar that is noticable if you really look for it, although it is acceptable and my stylist said it's not an issue because he doesn't notice it and doesn't cut my hair that short anyway. My dr. also told me he'd repair the scar at no charge if it really bothered me. Therefore, this is my question. Why didn't he just do the tricho after the procedure if he's offering to "fix" it anyway? Also, If I did go in for a repair, which I probably don't need according to my stylist, why not just go for some more grafts and fill in some crown work, which I could use, and then have the tricho closure? Since I had the standard closure the second time around would using the tricho for a third procedure or a repair give me the great, ultimate result I had from the first procedure?

I hope this thread makes sense, and I did ave a coolition dr. do my procedures. Thanks.

I agree with you Sparky, I wouldn't risk getting a scar repaired that's probably only 1.5 mm wide at the most. I was just wondering why he didn't do the tricho in the first place instead of offering to repair the scar after the fact. My other thought was that since I could use some more work anyway, and since I had a non-tricho method done last time, would having the next prodedure using the tricho method give me an ultimate result as the first procedure did or would it still leave me with a linear scar that's possibly 2-3 mm wide if every procedure produces a wider scar? In other words, I know that noone has a crystal ball, but has anyone had or any dr. had experiences or seen examples of people/patient healing results after three procedures with trich-nontricho-tricho?

I think that more important than tricho vs non-tricho is how much tension there is to close the donor wound. If there is to much tension than even with a trichophytic closure there will be additional scar tissue formation. Using a two layer closure technique is the surest way to minimize tension at the donor wound edge.

Thanks for the reponse, and I did have the two layer closure both times. So I guess for the third procedure I would ask the dr. to get the most grafts he could possibly harvest in order to get the most possible, optimal scar whether it's with the tricho or standard closure. Thanks again.