Sunburn 7 weeks since transplant

Hello , this is my first post on this forum , although i have read through a number of threads here in the past ,

I got a 1500 graft transplant on 31st of Oct this year to the frontal hairline area , i didnt take any picture to share here as i never thought about photographing my sugery.

my main question however is... Very stupidly i sunburnt my head pretty bad last week at the pool , i am very fair in complexion so i burn very easy , i didnt blister but went very red and am still rather pink in the face and head.

so far no peeling but a few little flakey bits of skin here and there ... have i ruined by transplant? or at 7 weeks am i safe , to give the most information my HT grafted area healed very fast , in just over a week i was free of most scabs so for at least 5 weeks i have been pretty much fully healed (no visiable evidence of a HT). i am driving myself crazy thinking i might have just wasted my money and valuable donor hair as i was just reaching the stage where a few little pimples were popping up showing signs no doubt of new growth , these are now gone too since the sunburn, please can anyone help?

In 1995 I had a patient who described the very same experience. About 6 weeks out from surgery he played tennis all afternoon without wearing a hat in the harsh sun. By that night he noticed his scalp was red and swollen.

When he came to the office I noticed that while the skin was very red, the grafts themselves were still white. There was nothing I could do so I took pictures and sent him on his way asking that he update me periodically.

Over the ensuing months he claimed a total recovery of the skin with his hair transplants growing within the normal expected times.

A saw him at about 8 months and his hair grew out beautifully. This case was printed in our industry journal "The Forum" around 1996 and has been referred to several times since.

I hope this helps you.

Dr. Feller

I would not expect it to alter the result. But if a patient is darker skinned, like me for example, I would worry about hyperpigmentation of that part of the scalp. Now if it is covered by a nice thick transplant, you would probably never notice it and it will likely eventually fade.

The horse is out of the barn now. Just wear a hat when in the sun for the next 2 months.

Dr. Lindsey McLean VA

William H. Lindsey, MD, FACS

McLean, VA

Dr. William Lindsey is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

Big thanks to all who have replied to my post , you have given me great peace of mind.

i have been using aloe vera and the sunburn has faded mostly leaving no redness at all on the recipient area so i might have got off lucky this time. Coming up to 8 weeks post op now so a while till i see some growth i would imagine,

I will post updates on the progress of my growth since the sunburn as the months go by.

i really wish i had had the foresight to take some photos from HT day one , with the shock loss i am looking worse than ever right now (and dont really want to see any photos haha, the CC-TV camera at work is bad enough!) but i am keeping positive.