How long after HT can you start to tan your head?

notsohairy

My crusts are off and a lot of the transplanted hairs have fallen out. I had a pretty tan head before the HT to minimize the red skin. All the red is gone annd my bald head is very white. How long after the HT can sone head tanning begin safely?

My crusts are off and a lot of the transplanted hairs have fallen out. I had a pretty tan head before the HT to minimize the red skin. All the red is gone annd my bald head is very white. How long after the HT can sone head tanning begin safely?

How far along post op are you? My doctor told me I can lay in the tanning bed after the first week, only with my head covered. After one month, he said I can lay normally, just avoid getting a sunburn on your scalp for a MINIMUM of 4 months. How many grafts did you get, just out of curiousity?

I'll tell you what I plan doing. I'm a little pale the way it is so I'm going to buy the self tanner spray and use it as "artificial sun" until the 4 month period is up. I can spray it on my hands and rub it on my face and forhead, an inch or two below my hairline, so I won't look like a ghost. Hey, It's worth a shot!?!

I'll tell you what I plan doing. I'm a little pale the way it is so I'm going to buy the self tanner spray and use it as "artificial sun" until the 4 month period is up. I can spray it on my hands and rub it on my face and forhead, an inch or two below my hairline, so I won't look like a ghost. Hey, It's worth a shot!?!

Check with your doctor first though to make sur that the chemicals won't be detrimental to your new grafts.

i'm lucky i'm naturally tanned icon_smile.gif

630 FUT - 8/27/03

2200 FUT - 5/20/05

2000 FUT - 12/15/07

"i haven't been this bald since.... well... since I was born!"

You should be able to lay in a tanning bed with a towel wrapped around your head protecting your grafts from the light exposure. i would also call your doc, as baldcasanova stated, and ask if it would be alright to use the tanning liquid in the bottle that you don't need light exposure to tan with. Just don't get too close to the hair.

As Brando and Baldcasanova pointed out, as long as you use a level of discretion in your tanning activities, you should be fine. I've heard good things about those "spray on" tans that many tanning clinics now offer. This may be a viable solution. I would definitely consult with your HT physician if you plan on going this route. You never know how detrimental those chemicals can be on those precious graphs!

----------------------------------

-Robert

As forum moderator and a Patient Advocate for the Coalition I'm available to answer any questions.

To view animations and videos and learn about leading hair restoration physicians visit http://www.regrowhair.com/our_physicians.asp

------------------------------

Check out the results of my surgical hair restoration performed by Dr. Jerry Cooley by visiting my Hair Loss Weblog

Definitely treat those grafts with care - the sun can be a killer.

>>Fortunately (for HT patients), you don't see the sun very often here in the UK! >>

(according to Hairworthy )

Personally, since my HT in May, almost every day has required a hat here in the UK. The sun's been fierce - rain in the North, drought where I live on the south coast.

Within the first month of post op I went to the beach and worked in the sun.I used spf 30 applied every so often and I was fine.It did hurt like hell when I recieve too much sun but the grafts where fine and continued to grow.although,I would ask your physician to be sure.