Shedding after hair dye (on Minoxidil 5%) (911 call)

Hi guys, about 7 months ago i had my HT in Istanbul. The result is pretty good i think and growing. No to the problem. 2 weeks ago i coloured my hair "dark brown colour" beacuse i had a few grey hairs on the sides.

I choose a total chemial free and ecologic hair colour from Radico. Im also on Kirkland Minoxidil 5% sense a couple of years. So after my hair dye when i use my hair comb i se hairs shedding and falling on the hand sink. This happend every time. So now my hair has become thinner. Im really worried.

When i shower i also use a total chemial free and ecologic schampoo. So i don't know what the problem is really.

What has caused this situation?

Will my shedded hair grow back again?

Edited by FUE-2014

FUE,

This would seem atypical for an allergic response. Did you change the minoxidil regimen or stop and then restart it for any reason? Did you add any other medications?

Shedding 50-150 hairs a day is normal. Is it possible you are shedding the same amount, but noticing it because the hairs are now dyed darker?

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

FUE,

This would seem atypical for an allergic response. Did you change the minoxidil regimen or stop and then restart it for any reason? Did you add any other medications?

Shedding 50-150 hairs a day is normal. Is it possible you are shedding the same amount, but noticing it because the hairs are now dyed darker?

No, i always use minox every single day. Maybe the first 1-2 days i did'nt use it beacuse of my hair dye. But every day untill today i use minox. No other medications.

The shedding seems not normal beacuse i see that my hair is much thinner then before i had my hair dye. Not fun at all. And im really worried.

Have i damaged my hair grafts with just one ecological hair dye? This seems crazy if thats the case. Maybe its a trauma?

When will my hair grow back? :confused:

FUE,

Hair dyes normally cause alopecia via structural damage to the hair shaft - also known as trichorrexia. This would manifest as shorter "broken hairs" - in the shower, sink, on the pillow, etc - without a bulb at the end, or the appearance of a variety of small, thick hairs near the scalp surface.

Some people have a genetic predisposition to shaft breakage that is "set off" by a harsh environmental factor - brushing, chemical dyes, harsh shampoos, etc. This could be the case here.

Based on your description, however, it seems like you believe the hair looks generally "thinner?" I think I may have another possible explanation: a starker contrast between scalp color/tone and hair shaft color/tone always creates a "thinning" appearance. This is the reason why caucasian men with lighter hair can undergo hair transplantation at lower densities and still achieve good results. It seems possible that you dyed the hair darker and it now simply looks thinner because of the more obvious contrast with your scalp.

If it is related to trichorrexia, it should naturally reverse itself; if it is related to contrast, you should see a difference after the hair grows out.

Sharing some images may help.

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

FUE,

Hair dyes normally cause alopecia via structural damage to the hair shaft - also known as trichorrexia. This would manifest as shorter "broken hairs" - in the shower, sink, on the pillow, etc - without a bulb at the end, or the appearance of a variety of small, thick hairs near the scalp surface.

Some people have a genetic predisposition to shaft breakage that is "set off" by a harsh environmental factor - brushing, chemical dyes, harsh shampoos, etc. This could be the case here.

Based on your description, however, it seems like you believe the hair looks generally "thinner?" I think I may have another possible explanation: a starker contrast between scalp color/tone and hair shaft color/tone always creates a "thinning" appearance. This is the reason why caucasian men with lighter hair can undergo hair transplantation at lower densities and still achieve good results. It seems possible that you dyed the hair darker and it now simply looks thinner because of the more obvious contrast with your scalp.

If it is related to trichorrexia, it should naturally reverse itself; if it is related to contrast, you should see a difference after the hair grows out.

Sharing some images may help.

This are the exact ingredienser in the hair colour i used;

Lawsonia Inermis* (Henna), Emblica Officinalis* (Amla), Eclipta Alba* (Bhringraj), Indigofera Tinctoria* (Indigo), Trignoella Foenum-graecum* (Methi), Hibiscus Rosa Sinensis* (Hibsicus), Coffea Arabica* (Coffee), Rubia Cordifolia* (Manjistha)

What do you think about this product?

I don't know man. It feels, looks and appears much different then before my hair dye. Im on that stage again "should i shave my head or not". Thats how i feel rght know.

Edited by Future_HT_Doc

FUE,

All those ingredients seem like fairly benign, natural elements.

Telogen effluvium usually requires a fairly significant "shock" to the system. I'm not certain natural hair dye would do it. Regardless, telogen effluvium should reverse within 3-5 months as well.

FUE,

All those ingredients seem like fairly benign, natural elements.

Telogen effluvium usually requires a fairly significant "shock" to the system. I'm not certain natural hair dye would do it. Regardless, telogen effluvium should reverse within 3-5 months as well.

Yepp i read about it. Now i just shaved my haid. Beacuse my hair simply was to thin looking. With a nice beard it looks quite good. Hope to see some regrowth soon.