help - serious pain after FUE procedure

okypete

I had a FUE (2000 grafts) about 7 days ago. After the surgery, everything was fine. However, at day 4, the donor area was quite painful, especially when I sleep. I am feeling it’s like neuropathic pain, very sensitive and tingling. It’s really affecting my life in such a negative way.

I know someone also experienced this. Could anyone who suffered this tell me how long this pain would last for? And any treatment for this?

Thanks very much!

I experienced quite a bit of the donor area pain in the same time frame as you, and it was definitely the most painful part of an otherwise uneventful procedure. Within a week tops, it should be gone. The only way I was able to get any relief was from putting ice on it to temporarily numb it. Dr. Mohebi gave me an ointment to put on the scalp as well to help it stay moisturized. Also, try avoiding really hot showers - they seemed to trigger the pain for me as well. Check with your doctor and see what exactly he recommends.

I went to my doctor a week after and he explained it to me a bit... When extracting the hairs, they don't go deep enough to do any real nerve damage... However, depending on the person, sometimes the nerves are just slightly "irritated", which is what I was experiencing.

Hang tight. At the time, it seems almost unbearable - but I believe you're almost out of the woods. And in hindsight, it was such a small, fleeting moment in the grand scheme of it all that you may even forget just how painful it seems at the moment.

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56