I need to have an arachnoid cyst removed after hair transplant?

Ok, so I had my hair transplant 2 and a half months ago. I recently had an MRI that revealed that I have an arachnoid cysts on the top left area of my parietal lobe. The neurosurgeon mentioned to me that the cyst has been growing and that he recommends me undergoing surgery to have it removed. The problem is that he would have to make an incision on my scalp right where the new transplant hairs were grafted. The neurosurgeon told me that the surgery can hold off a couple months, but he doesn't recommend putting it off too long. I called up Dr. Meshkin and explained my situation. He mentioned to me that the scar from the incision would only effect the grafts hairs in that area...but I mentioned that it isn't just an incision. The neurosurgeon needs to open up a decent sized area of my scalp to cut through the bone and remove the cyst on my brain. He just said that my health is more important than my hair and I agreed with him, but our phone conversation left me confused. So will this surgery ruin my hair transplant or just the hairs that fall within the incision? How can the hairs along my scalp that are being moved around to open my head remain unaffected? That makes no sense to me. I'm probably the only person on this forum with this specific problem, so maybe nobody knows the answer to this, but I figured I would ask anyway. I will contact my neurosurgeon tomorrow and ask if it is possible that he can make the incision behind or outside of the grafted area, but that might not be possible.

In theory only the area that actually is being cut will suffer damage. Also you're aware the parietal lobe is near the mid/back of your head so work done around your hairline really shouldn't be affected, assuming the incision would be made in the parietal lobe area.

In any case, if you're having symptoms necessitating the removal of an arachnoid cyst you definitely need to get that taken care of first and foremost. You can always touch up your hair later...

Best of luck.

In theory only the area that actually is being cut will suffer damage. Also you're aware the parietal lobe is near the mid/back of your head so work done around your hairline really shouldn't be affected, assuming the incision would be made in the parietal lobe area.

In any case, if you're having symptoms necessitating the removal of an arachnoid cyst you definitely need to get that taken care of first and foremost. You can always touch up your hair later...

Best of luck.

Well, I have had hairs grafted not only on my hairline, but on the crown area as well. I had a giant bald spot in my crown area as well. The incision would be right where part of the grafted hairs are.

I'm not having any symptoms at all, but the cyst is growing...so we can call that a symptom, but it isn't something I feel. Regardless, I need to have it removed because it is growing.

I will set an appointment for my operation tomorrow morning and I won't be able to have the surgery done for another 6 weeks anyway. Gives my hair another month or so to grow out more, before being shaved off for the surgery haha.

• 4 months later...

Good to hear the surgery was a success. I hope that means your health is a-okay.

And how was your hair affected after all?

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56