Finasteride users 40 and older ONLY please:

Tom R.

If any of you guys have used any form of Hormone Replacement Therapy-HRT for a lagging libido, while using Finasteride, tell me. I'm interested in the positives and negatives you've experienced; especially any hair loss related side effects.

• 5 weeks later...

I didn't have any side effects, and I used both finasteride and Androgel together for a year. Honestly I don't use either now.

On the Androgel, it helps for sure. But I went and had a sleep apnea test done and now use a C-pap (sp?) machine when I sleep. My problem was I was a very light sleeper and snore a little too.

But, since I corrected the sleep thing my T went back to normal levels. I also work out and do cardio more than ever so that could have helped.

Dr. Cooley addressed your question to me, and said there should be NO effects of using both Androgel and Proscar together.

I just quit the finasteride because I got tired of paying $85 every 3 months and I've been thinning for 20 years so I'm not sure it was helping reverse my loss. Anyway, hope this helps.

Dewayne

100? 'mini' grapfts by Latham's Hair Clinic - 1991 (Removed 50 plugs by Cooley 3/08.)

2750 FU 3/20/08 by Dr. Cooley

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Cooley

Current regimen:

1.66 mg Proscar M-W-F

Rogaine 5% Foam - every now and then

AndroGel - once daily

Lipitor - 5 mg every other day

Weightlifting - 2x per week

Jogging - 3x per week

Dewayne

I am interesed in your androgel therapy. I personally believe that 10 years from now there will be excellent science showing a mix of testosterone and growth hormone in low dosages will dramatically increase the quality of life for men in their 50s to 75 or so. But, right now, its like PRP, who knows what the right dose is? And, those hormones (unlike PRP) can increase the growth of certain tumors....not good.

Once the risk benefit ratio is worked out, I'll be in line to get the treatments even if I have to pay cash; as I doubt if insurance is going to cover that.

So tell me, why did you start it? how long until you noted improvement? any side effects? how much does it cost you? and did your doc tell you about increased tumor risks? if so, what was their take on it?

Thanks

Dr. Lindsey McLean VA

William H. Lindsey, MD, FACS

McLean, VA

Dr. William Lindsey is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians