How many techs should perfom a FUE?

Hello! This is my first post and I really apprectiate you taking the time to answer my question. I have had a strip and FUE transplant in the past. I am getting a NeoGraft transplant of approx. 2000 grafts to thicken up my front and middle. I was told that the doctor would numb the doner area and a specialized technician with years of experience would be coming in to do the procedure. Is this normal for 1 person to extract 2000 grafts and then implant them? I was caught a little off guard and want to make sure this is normal/ok?

Thanks again for your input!

That seems like a lot for one person to do - and I personally don't like that the doctor isn't more hands on. When I had my FUE transplant, the doctor (Dr. Mohebi) did the majority of the work himself with the assistance of 3 technicians (maybe 4? I was flying high.... haha). The doctor extracted the hairs himself with the help of two of the technicians, then they would pass the hairs to the 3rd technician who was in charge of the counting. Then they would flip me over and the doctor cut the holes in the front where the new hairs were going to go. The only time he left the room was when all that was left was for the technicians to place the hairs in their new homes. Then he'd come back, check the work, and we would start the process all over again.

So from my experience, I think you have very valid reasons to question this. :)

Regarding the "NeoGraft" aspect of your surgery, I just did a little googling... I found this statement interesting: "Dr. Bauman said he feels compelled to remind consumers that, as remarkable as he believes the NeoGraft is, it is still just a “tool” – and it is not a substitute for a qualified hair transplant surgeon and surgical team." This seems to be what they're trying to sell you - that because they're using the NeoGraft, the actual surgeon doesn't need to do it.... Call me crazy, but I'd rather have the surgeon doing the majority of work on me than a technician any day.... I don't care how trained the technician is.

Edited by Future_HT_Doc
outside link removed

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56

A single individual extracting 2,000 grafts via FUE isn't strange. What is strange, however, is an unknown technician, and not the practicing physician, performing this task. Some may disagree, but I think the graft removal portion of a hair transplant procedure - both strip ("FUT") and FUE - should be performed by a licensed physician. In fact, in many states it is illegal for anyone besides a physician to puncture the skin in this manner.

Ask yourself the following: are you comfortable with a non-medical technician - albeit with "experience" - operating on your scalp with limited, non-renewable grafts? If you trust the doctor's recommendation, then this is one thing; if you are not comfortable, however, I would spend time researching and consulting with additional clinics.

Please, feel free to ask any additional questions.

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.