How to cut 5mg Fin tablets and why are 5mg Fin tablets smaller than 1mg Propecia?

n2se5

Hello,

I've bought over a year's supply of 5mg Finasteride tablets. I currently taking 1mg Propecia and they are due to run out in a few days so I will start to use Fin tablets . However, I need to cut 5mg into 5 bits first. How do I do this? The 5mg tablet is even smaller than 1mg of Propecia - how can this be the case when they're both equally as effective? I'm worried crumbs/bits of the tablet will be lost due to having to cut it. Is there anything I can buy that will cut the tablets for me?

Many thanks guys.

Buy a pill cutter, if it's proscar you've got then many people just cut them in to quarters and this seems to work fine. There are examples on online of how some people cut the pills into 5 pieces. Just do search but personally I'd quarter it.

I cut them into equal 1/8th portions which is .625mg and it really thickened up my donor for my transplant

I have a really nice pill cutter and have it down to a science.

I also have not had any side effects which was a bonus

Hi All,

i let the wife step in here as shes a Med head,

Its really hard to get an accurate dosing with 1/5 of a tablet.....even with a pill cutter so here is what we pharmacy folks do.... Crush the 5 mg tablet. Get an oral syringe and measure 5 mLs of water. 5 mg in 5 mLs....or 1 mg in 1 mL. You can use something like a dosage cup to mix.

So again crush the tablet....put 5 mls in.....mix the two......draw up 1mL....now you have 1 mg.

Now you have 5 doses ready to go. Remember that the mixture must be mixed up thoroughly each time you draw up 1 mL. You can cover up your measuring cup with a bit of foil to not allow anything to get into your mixture. You now have 5 days worth of medicine mixed up. This can be taken straight or if it is not quite palatable then you can put it in spoonful of applesauce or some pudding.....I wouldn't recommend you putting it in a big glass of something to drink.....but you can certainly take it with a sip of water.....just like you would a tablet.

Edited by ontop
more info

That is precisely how I do it. The key is to use a sharp paring knife, cutting board and most importantly always start your cuts with the blade against the blue coated surface. If you cut from the white to the blue the pill will crumble into powder as opposed to individual segments.

• 2 weeks later...