2nd surgery after failed 1st?

What are the chances of a 2nd surgery being successful given that the 1st one was a failure (very low yield)?

Thanks.

Was your surgeon a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians?

What are the chances of a 2nd surgery being successful given that the 1st one was a failure (very low yield)?

Thanks.

Did you have FUE or FUHT? The are many variables as to why the yield is sub par.

It could be high transection rates with FUE, it could be just overall incompetence with the surgeon and staff, it could be in how your responded to the procedure, etc.

We need a little more information if you are comfortable with that.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

• 1 month later...
Did you have FUE or FUHT? The are many variables as to why the yield is sub par.

It could be high transection rates with FUE, it could be just overall incompetence with the surgeon and staff, it could be in how your responded to the procedure, etc.

We need a little more information if you are comfortable with that.

I had FUT. I had a megasession of 5000 grafts.

This is another phenomenon that is controversial regarding large procedures or the mega-session. In today's world, that is attainable with FUHT providing the individual has the accommodating scalp laxity for a strip that large, and of course the density level.

Yet some docs do not like to do them because of the added level of trauma that the additional thousands of recipient incisions can cause. Some are of the opinion that yields and regrowth are better attained in smaller sessions of 2500-3,000 grafts for subsequent procedures. Initial procedures tend to have the best yields.

So the impending question is, "Can a higher level of scalp trauma affect the overall yield?" I think that it can.

There are many variables that can impact the regrowth or level of yield in mega-sessions. The first consideration is how the individual responds to the trauma. Some patients really experience inflammation and swelling, some do not.

Some surgeons employ the use of custom blades to create their coronal incisions which lowers the level of trauma because they are in many cases, less invasive.

If the mega-session is a subsequent procedure within the same surface area, then the recipient zone is already compromised with previous scar tissue and can affect yields in subsequent procedures.

One of the other dilemmas is that a subsequent session does not appear to be as dense as we think it should be, visually speaking. If there is hair within the recipient area to begin with, how does one track the added level of density as per cm2?

It can be done using a series of photos before and after the procedure using a scope but not too many clinics if any do this for the patient.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY