Which surgeons offer "no shaving" options?

eric105

I work in a customer service-oriented field and am very interested in not shaving the top of my head for FUE. I can take about a month off from work but that's probably max. I have medium length hair and I wear my hair down, so I feel like I might be able to hide this SOMEWHAT. Which surgeons offer this option and are there any drawbacks to it?

Thanks

I have read some Docs dont require you to shave which for some (self included) can be a deal breaker. For my surgery with Dr.Arocha, I did not have to shave recipient area. Prior to the surgery, I grew my hair to sort of a "ceasar style " which completely hid my procedure. I returned to work the following week and no one was the wiser !

1st HT 1973 FUT's with Dr.Robert Mcclellan 6/28/2007

*unfortunately I have no info on hair count on my 1st surgery ..

2nd HT 3026 FUT's with Dr. Bernadino Arocha 1/9/2014

1's - 797

2's - 3700

3's - 246

5634 hairs

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/attachment.php?attachmentid=54945&d=1389315686

3026 FUTs 1 day HT#2 post op frontal picture

The no shave docs I'm familiar with (I had strip) include Beehner and True/Dorin in NY, and Cooley in NC. You might start there. All do FUE, as far as I know. They will still need to shave portions of the back of your head, but even that can be camouflaged for a small session.

Of course if you can take a whole month off, I wouldn't be too concerned. Even if you shave entirely, there won't be much evidence of a HT after a month of healing/ native hair growing out.

• Moderators

I just had a FUE session of 610 grafts with True and Dorin last week (Dr Dorin to be specific). It was BHT, so the grafts were removed from my chest, but he did not shave the recipient area.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

I work in a customer service-oriented field and am very interested in not shaving the top of my head for FUE. I can take about a month off from work but that's probably max. I have medium length hair and I wear my hair down, so I feel like I might be able to hide this SOMEWHAT. Which surgeons offer this option and are there any drawbacks to it?

Thanks

Hi eric105,

Dr. Bhatti (Darling Buds Clinic, Chandigarh, India) offers the no shave (FUE) if less than 2000 grafts are to be implanted. For bigger procedures, if the Patient wishes to go for the 'no shave', then he suggests that the HT be done in two steps (each step involving less than 2000 grafts transplanted)

Thanks,

California

DarlingBuds FUE's profile photo 

North America Representative and Patient Advisor for:
Dr. Tejinder Bhatti, Darling Buds Hair Transplant Center, Chandigarh, India.

Disclaimer: I am not a medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own.

Thanks for the insight!

Any reasons his sessions are limited to less than 2000?

Are there any drawbacks to doing it without shaving the recipient area?

Hi Eric,

Copy/pasting from the FAQ section of our website:

How many grafts can be harvested through your “no shave” technique?

We routinely do the "no shave" technique procedure for cases requiring an average 2000 grafts. The term "no shave" is a misnomer since it is a must to have hair awaiting extraction to be shaved down to 1 mm in length in order to accomplish an FUE procedure. However, these stripes (not to be confused with strips) are not visible due to overlapping of hair from above and hence the donor site looks the same after a hair transplant procedure. The common denominator for a "no shave" technique is long hair at the back of the scalp long- enough to cover the shaved stripes from where the grafts are going to be extracted. The following are the number of average grafts that can be taken based on given hair length over the donor area in an individual with 100 hair per cm sq- ? inch length- 1000-1200 1 inch length- 1200- 1500 1? inch length- 1500-1800 2 inch length- 1800-2000 2? inch length- 2000-2500 It is impossible to extract more than 2500 grafts in this technique since the hair lower down over the neck are spared and so are the thin hair bearing stripes which go untouched. This limits the extraction of greater number of grafts. If a patient with the same variables were to get a "full shave" FUE, up to 4000 grafts can be extracted.

Here is the URL for the FAQ section:

FAQs - Hair transplantation FAQ

Thanks,

California

DarlingBuds FUE's profile photo 

North America Representative and Patient Advisor for:
Dr. Tejinder Bhatti, Darling Buds Hair Transplant Center, Chandigarh, India.

Disclaimer: I am not a medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own.