Some "how long until I'm okay to..." questions regarding FUT

GuitarBoy

Hey everyone.

It looks like I'm going to have somewhere between a 1200 - 1600 FUT later this year. I've been for a few consultations but have yet to select my surgeon. It will just be in my temples and around the front of my hairline.

I've been thinking about some "how long until..." questions that I wanted to get people's take on...

How long until I can expect the redness and swelling to get to a point where it's not too noticeable? I'll be doing what I can to cover it with my existing hair, but I'm curious to know when it will look "fine".

How long until I can wear a beanie? Given that a beanie will sit on the front of the hairline and on the temples, which is exactly where the grafts will be....

How long until I can go swimming?! I love swimming and not sure how it will be wearing a swimming cap (or even not wearing a swimming cap...)

How long until I can go back to weight training? And can I go back to training my legs quicker, or should I hold off both for a set period of time?

I tend to go to loads of different places to get my hair cut, and I was wondering how long until I don't have to explain to the stylist that I've had a HT? Or is this something I should always make them aware of?

Appreciate any advice or input on these........

GuitarBoy,

I can't speak for other clinics but in general the follow applies to patients of our clinic:

How long until I can expect the redness and swelling to get to a point where it's not too noticeable? I'll be doing what I can to cover it with my existing hair, but I'm curious to know when it will look "fine".

The redness will depend on your skin tone. If you have dark skin the redness is generally not as much of an issue. If you're fair skinned, the redness can linger for several weeks or more. If you can indeed cover the work with your existing hair, I wouldn't be too concerned about it.

How long until I can wear a beanie? Given that a beanie will sit on the front of the hairline and on the temples, which is exactly where the grafts will be....

About a week

How long until I can go swimming?! I love swimming and not sure how it will be wearing a swimming cap (or even not wearing a swimming cap...)

About 10 - 14 days post-op

How long until I can go back to weight training? And can I go back to training my legs quicker, or should I hold off both for a set period of time?

Depending on how agressive and heavy you go. You can usually resume moderate training within 2-3 weeks

I tend to go to loads of different places to get my hair cut, and I was wondering how long until I don't have to explain to the stylist that I've had a HT? Or is this something I should always make them aware of?

If you're getting a haircut before the staples are removed you should let the stylist know. After a few weeks it's up to you whether you want to mention it.The only thing you may need to be aware of is the length in the back and or sides, you'll need to let them know not to go too short. When all is said and done and the hair grows and the scar is healed, you'll find that if the ht was done right by the right doctor, your stylist will problably not even notice you've had a hair transplant surgery. I like to tell them I've had a transplant and get their reaction. Most are not used to seeing a high quality surgery and are impressed. What they usually see is bad work and they didn't realize there is something this good available they can recommend to their clients. I hope this helps.

I am a salaried employee of Hasson and Wong since 2001. Opinions expressed are my own.

Hassonandwong.com

Thanks for all that info Doug, very helpful to me.

I will be travelling to the US from the UK for my surgery. How long after the surgery do you think until I can fly back to the UK? Also, I will most likely be on my own until I get back to the UK - do you think that will be a problem?

Thanks.