Shock Loss - 6 weeks

I'm almost 6 weeks in for my second transplant. Shock loss is pretty brutal. Is this common for a second transplant? How much worse can this get?

6-10 is a couple weeks in and 6 30 is almost 6 weeks in.

5b32e00e866f4_Photoon6-10-14at8_40PM.jpg.6fa0a0ef9a98fc02948cc6c9cc5e06ff.jpg

5b32e00e9c595_Photoon6-30-14at8_05PM.jpg.0ed014df84dd28a3f68a23da2c91da6e.jpg

a,

Sorry to hear about that. Any time grafts are placed in close proximity to existing hairs there is a chance for those hairs to become shocked. Shock loss is definitely a greater risk during a second hair transplant due to the fact that there is typically more hair surrounding the newly placed grafts. The good news is that, in most cases, this hair loss is temporary and should regrow along with your transplanted hair between 3 and 6 months post-op.

Did your hair restoration surgeon recommend using Propecia and/or Rogaine prior to surgery to reduce this risk?

Edited by David - TakingThePlunge
spelling

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

He did. I use propecia, but rogaine is too greasy and actually makes my hair look thinner. I'm curious, why am I at more risk for the second op. I know there's more hair, but I didn't think te hairs from my first procedure could fall out?

Can hairs transplanted in my first procedure fall out?

In general, transplanted hair is not as susceptible to shock loss as weaker native hair. What we don't know is the amount of native hair that was in the recipient zone compared to transplanted hair.

Shock loss for the most part is related to the level of trauma from the surgery. It really comes down to how each individual's scalp responds. So can prior transplants shock? Yes, but again not as readily as the native hair.

Most of what you lost in shock should grow back as long as your surgeon was careful and competent in making the new recipient sites.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

I'm in the same boat. Probably worse. shock loss.

You must have had all FUE with Dr. Umar?

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY