Growth by the numbers

So here's one for HT docs and veterans.

On average, what percentage of transplanted hairs will have broken through the scalp at month 3, 4, 5, 6, 9, and 12 assuming that 100% is month 18?

Similarly, what percentage of final individual hair density is achieved at months 3, 4, 5, 6, 9, and 12 assuming that 100% density is achieved at month 18.

What does a transplanted hair look like when it initially grows?

Up to what month can native hairs go into shock loss and by when are they expected to grow back?

Months 1-4 are known as the panic months due to lack of growth. By when is it actually reasonable to start worrying if there is little or no growth?

I'm sure we'll get many opinions and a lot of interest in this topic.

Hi Hair,

Let me see if I can address your questions:

1. Hair transplants mature in the following manner:

Month 3: 10% maturation

Month 4: 20% maturation

Month 5: 30% maturation

Month 6: 40% maturation

Month 7: 50% maturation

Month 8: 60% maturation

Month 9: 70% maturation

Month 10: 80% maturation

Month 11: 90% maturation

Month 12: 100% maturation (though some argue it takes roughly 15 to 18 months to truly reach this point).

2. During months 3-6, the newly implanted hair is thin and wispy. From months 6-9 it becomes thicker, but also appears slightly "kinky" or "wiry." From months 9-12, the hair matures into its normal appearance.

3. Shock loss usually appears within the first 1-3 months after surgery. It can take up to 5 months to fully grow back.

4. You really shouldn't worry until month 12. However, most patients have a good idea of how the result will eventually end up by month 9.

I hope this helps!

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.