Dry Scalp/Dandruff - Diagnosed Telogen Effluvium

GoPokes

Well I started noticing little white flakes I assumed were just dandruff back in Jul/Aug of 2013. Didn't think much of it at the time, but since then I have really noticed more hair falling out and am starting to see noticeable thinning and volume loss all over my head (but especially in the crown with less thinning in the area where I had my transplant.

Long story short...talked to my HT surgeon about it soon after and he said to get on Nizoral. Tried that for a while but things only seemed to get worse. Scheduled an appt with a Dermatologist and they said I had dandruff and to use Clobatezol and Nizoral should help too. So I did and no real change so I went back for a follow up. It was then that the Derm (a different one this time in the same office) did a hair pull test and diagnosed me with Telogen Effluvium (when too much of hair is in the resting phase). She said to continue on the Clobatezol and to alternate dandruff shampoos. Also was sent for a thyroid test which came back normal (that was about 3 weeks ago).

I am honestly at a loss, because I continue to see a lot of hair come out each time I shower and I see white flakes in my wet hair after I wash thoroughly each day. I don't know what to do and I don't know how long this is going to last. I don't want to stop taking Finasteride or Minoxidil, but I don't know how to get this to stop.

I read that Telogen Effluvium usually corrects itself, but that is after the stressor or the thing that started it is eradicated. I am not sure what I have started doing differently that could have caused this and I don't seem to really see a slow down.

I am hoping that there is somebody out there that has had a similar experience and can give me some advice. It seems that the docs just don't know what to do, and I hear that stress makes it worse. Well, it's hard not to stress when you see your hair coming out each morning and every time I come my hair.

Thanks for any help in advance.

• 1 month later...

Hi, dear friend

First of all dandruff had become an one of the common issue now days so using chemicals like shampoo will not help to prevent from it, so better use any natural therapy or consult to dermatologist.

Well I started noticing little white flakes I assumed were just dandruff back in Jul/Aug of 2013. Didn't think much of it at the time, but since then I have really noticed more hair falling out and am starting to see noticeable thinning and volume loss all over my head (but especially in the crown with less thinning in the area where I had my transplant.

Long story short...talked to my HT surgeon about it soon after and he said to get on Nizoral. Tried that for a while but things only seemed to get worse. Scheduled an appt with a Dermatologist and they said I had dandruff and to use Clobatezol and Nizoral should help too. So I did and no real change so I went back for a follow up. It was then that the Derm (a different one this time in the same office) did a hair pull test and diagnosed me with Telogen Effluvium (when too much of hair is in the resting phase). She said to continue on the Clobatezol and to alternate dandruff shampoos. Also was sent for a thyroid test which came back normal (that was about 3 weeks ago).

I am honestly at a loss, because I continue to see a lot of hair come out each time I shower and I see white flakes in my wet hair after I wash thoroughly each day. I don't know what to do and I don't know how long this is going to last. I don't want to stop taking Finasteride or Minoxidil, but I don't know how to get this to stop.

I read that Telogen Effluvium usually corrects itself, but that is after the stressor or the thing that started it is eradicated. I am not sure what I have started doing differently that could have caused this and I don't seem to really see a slow down.

I am hoping that there is somebody out there that has had a similar experience and can give me some advice. It seems that the docs just don't know what to do, and I hear that stress makes it worse. Well, it's hard not to stress when you see your hair coming out each morning and every time I come my hair.

Thanks for any help in advance.

I had similar problem like yours . I suffered from sebhorric dermatitis or dandruff for 3 years .there a white layer all over your scalp but not at back .

Google dandrid lotion , give it try just for 15 days regular and wash your head daily after applying overnight , you will get rid of it for sure .

It worked for me and it must work for you .

How long and often did you use Nizroal?

That shampoo can actually cause shedding if used too frequently, especially the 2% version.

Were you diagnosed with seborrheic dermatitis (oily dandruff) or dry scalp or even psoriasis?

Scalp issues like seborrheic dermatitis can be a life long hassle, and best to rotate shampoos and treatments if your scalp gets used to them.

How long ago was your HT btw, and is that hair also shedding as well?

go dense or go home

Unbiased advice and opinions based on 25 plus years of researching and actual experience with hair loss, hair restoration via both FUT & FUE, SMP, scalp issues including scalp eczema & seborrheic dermatitis and many others

HSRP10's favorite FUT surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr Hasson, Dr. Rahal

HSRP10's favorite FUE surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr. Bisanga, Dr. Erdogan, Dr. Couto

(*indicates actual experience with doctor)